Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 12:53PM

Yes, Sunday has rolled around again. You know, the one day that we remember why we are here and need to pay homage to our kind loving Father in heaven.

Did you remember to go to his church?

If not, what did you do instead?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 01:06PM

I didn't forget...

I'll be laying down in the shade of my truck, throwing tools and inventing new swear-words.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 01:20PM

Is it Sunday? I'm trying to remember why I'm here.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 02:25PM

I went for a great morning hike and didn't even think about the agony of sitting in sacrament meeting.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 03:16PM

I recently had a root canal . . .

I had to pay money for it . . .

I'd rather have a root canal than have to sit through a free snackerment meeting.

I wonder if novacaine could in some way help those who are forced to attend snackerment meetings?  Probably not, since numbing the brain in such a precise manner, without creating an uncontrolable addiction, isn't currently feasible.

Imagine being able to numb your senses for an exact period of time!!  "I'm going to have to hang out with Gladys Lot for an hour?  No problem, thanks to my injectomatic™ and Happy Juice™, now available at your local pharmacy.  Why be bored to tears without it?"

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: April 30, 2024 01:51PM

It's technically not free. I'll bet that root canal cost much less than 10% of your income.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 06:01PM

Nope. I forgot yet again.

I did needed chores and tasks this morning, kept an eye on some Premier League games as well, and relaxed with a novel this afternoon with the windows and balcony door wide open. Lovely spring day.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 07:55PM

This is the 687th consecutive time that I missed.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 08:58PM

I went. Delightful service. Sermon on nostalgia. The word sounds like the name of a disease because that is what it was originally considered to be. Tori Amos figured into the sermon.

The choir sang several numbers, one being an arrangement of Time After Time. Heavenly Father was not mentioned. Nor was Jesus, though he does get an honorable mention now and then. No prayer at any part of the service, though the doxology did end with amen.

Afterward I got in a conversation for a half hour with a philosophy grad/writer and a retired orthopedic surgeon with an undergrad degree in engineering about Sapolsky. Two of us were hard determinists. The doctor was a soft determinist.

I thought it was time well spent. I’d do it again.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 09:01PM

That's the way to do religion, IMO.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 30, 2024 01:44PM

That's what I thought. They also take the summers off which I think is very civilized. They sponsor lectures, usually on local issues, through the summer. They also donate half of the collection one Sunday a month to a local non-profit and have a representative from the non-profit come in and take 5 minutes to tell us about what they do. That's about a thousand dollars a month direct to local nonprofits. Not a lot, but not nothing either, and most nonprofits are on shoestring budgets.

Nothing about any of that offends my little atheist heart.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: April 30, 2024 01:55PM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 09:22PM

I drove by my bank. The church and I both worship the same currency.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 10:19PM

Did you genuflect?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 30, 2024 12:56AM

As if! I went to watch one granddaughter dance (Ukrainian folk), drank a few beers with my son, celebrated my other granddaughters birthday and drove home, 4.5 hours. Church never entered my thoughts.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 30, 2024 11:25AM

I didn't go this week (Anglo-Catholic church) as I felt poorly. So the morning and afternoon were spent drinking tea and eating biscuits in our conservatory.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.