Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: emily briggette ( )
Date: April 30, 2024 10:29PM

Ive been curious about this for a while,but ive not gotten a true answer (cause i have no mormon or mormon raised friends). I like a guy who is a very strict latter day saint and i am an SDA,but kind of strict but not to his level. I really like him, but i really dont like the MORMON CHURCH.However, i want to see if i have a chance with him before i get to deep. Do mormons prefer to date mormons ? And if i end up dating him will i have to become mormon too?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 30, 2024 10:44PM

Mormons are taught to date Mormons. Any non-member wife of a Mormon will be looked upon with pity. Any chance of converting him to SDA?

SDA is a much better deal for you, as others here will tell you. Unless you want to be a doormat.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 30, 2024 10:45PM

Your Results may vary!

Some, sometimes Many LDS singles keep up appearances for social and/or financial reasons but that can conveniently be 'forgotten' or overlooked when they're not under observation.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 07:13AM

Meet his parents, if they are TBM, consider moving on. No matter what a TBM tells you, they will try to convert you.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 09:03AM

Yes, active Mormons strongly prefer to date and marry other active Mormons. I would have a talk with him about what he is visualizing in terms of his future wife, and how he wants his children raised. Would he expect his future wife, if a non-member, to convert? Does he expect a temple marriage? (...if so, you would have to convert, and your family and non-Mormon friends would not be allowed to attend your own wedding.) Is raising his future children Mormon the only option, or would he be open to raising them SDA?

Given your feelings about Mormonism, if he is not open to a mixed-faith marriage or with not raising his kids LDS, it might be best to bail now. Honestly, your chances are not great. Mormons are trained to convert.

The Mormon church is a high-control religious group similar in intensity to the Jehovah's Witnesses. That would be your future if you joined. They would control what underwear you wear, your clothing, what you drink, where ten percent plus of your family income goes, your volunteer level with the church, and more.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 02:37PM

Even **if** he says you don't have to convert; even **if** (BIG if) he agrees not to have a temple marriage; if/when kids come, mormons will usually insist on the kids being raised mormon, and expect their spouse to join them to have their fantasy "forever family." The longer you are in, the harder it is to escape.

Also, if you marry him you're also inviting his family into your life. Assuming they are also strict mormon, they will always see/treat you as "lesser than" him, will forever be pressuring you to convert, and in general will make your life miserable until you submit and conform.

You must have this conversation with him. Tell him you'll never be OK with a temple marriage under any circumstances, and it's a deal-breaker for you. Period. There's a very good chance he'll break it off on the spot, which means you'll have saved yourself a trainload of hurt down the line.

Tread warily, take nothing for granted, and always leave yourself an out.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 06:57PM

This! 1000%. All bets are off when kids arrive.

Perhaps see if he will go with you to SDA services. Will he or not? If so, is there a willingness to engage with and understand your beliefs? A relationship of equals is just that. If it seems my way or the highway, take the highway.

Posted by: Notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 10:31PM

I was a Christian with little knowledge of the Gospel of the Bible. I was attending BYU when I met my RM husband. I was very unsure of Mormonism but thought I might convert. My husband thought that I would and we married. It was shortly thereafter that I became stronger in my Christian faith and all of the things I had been learning about the history and theology of Mormonism coagulated and it became clear to me I could never be a Mormon.

After a lot of struggling, my husband too realized the falsehood of Mormonism and became a Christian.

This was more than 40 years ago and we are still happily married. We moved far away from Utah and his huge TBM family which helped, but it's really by God's grace that we've made it.

There will always be friction with the inlaws over our situation. We are always on guard with them since I know all about their fake "love-bombing". Never know if/when they are being sincere and that is their fault, not ours.

Posted by: Notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 10:32PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 10:44PM

bloody right, mate!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 11:28PM

All Mormon truth may be circumscribed into one great bung hole.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.