Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: May 03, 2024 09:41AM

from An Ocean of Data, by Justin Smith-Ruiu:

By the time I finish writing this sentence, vastly more data will have been generated around the world than was produced in the entire 18th century, indeed in the entire history of humanity prior to around 1900.

This sounds like some crazy thing someone might say just to make small-talk at a party, but it’s literally true. In the late 1990s, all the books in the Library of Congress were estimated to contain around 20 terabytes of data (20 million books of roughly 1MB each). In turn, a figure I have come across repeatedly estimates that there were around 337,000 books published between 1700 and 1800, though it is not clear whether this figure includes books published in East Asian and South Asian languages, or only in the languages of Europe and its colonies. So let’s go ahead and double it, bringing the total number of 18th-century books to 674,000, at around 1MB each (let us say). And let’s double that figure in turn to include all the letters and notes and church baptismal scrolls and so on, so that there were, worldwide, a total of 1,348,000 MB of data, or 1.348 terabytes, produced in that hundred-year period.

In 2023, there were about 328.77 exabytes of data produced per day (the figure is surely much higher now, almost three months into 2024). One exabyte is equivalent to 1 million terabytes. At the average 2023 rate, this is the same as 13.69875 exabytes per hour, or 228.3125 petabytes per minute, where a petabyte is equivalent to 1000 terabytes. So, every minute in 2023 there were about 169,371 times more data produced than in the entire century that gave us, among other great achievements, the Encyclopédie.

Do you understand what this means? I am, right now, pissing into the ocean. Sure, I create a little cloud that brings about a few seconds of alteration in this nano-region’s pH balance. But the ocean doesn’t care, and almost immediately restores itself to its previous homeostasis. And if the ocean is increasingly threatened with a loss of homeostasis, this is not because of my own feeble stream, but because human industry is pumping massive quantities of plastic and toxic waste — the counterparts, in our ongoing analogy, to the massive quantities of AI-generated sludge that now constitute the great bulk of the data I attempted to measure, no doubt imprecisely, in the previous paragraph.

The figure of the “writer”, as opposed to his earlier ancestors such as the “scribe”, probably only emerged around the end of the 18th century. But obviously —obviously!— whatever we imagined that figure to be doing at that moment just cannot be what it is today, any more than pissing into the ocean can be reasonably interpreted to be the same sort of act as pissing into the bathtub.

Writing is dead. Dead, dead, dead! It had its moment, but now humanity is moving on to new and different things.

https://www.the-hinternet.com/p/an-ocean-of-data

Count me happy that the above conclusion is clearly wrong. Naming things and counting things are different activities.

Human

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 03, 2024 01:49PM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 13, 2024 07:38AM

Of course, in the UK, it would be 'first-hand'...

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 03, 2024 07:02PM

If all of this information has only made us dumber, the Mormons may be right. Ignorance is bliss.

Posted by: Mormon Adjacent Lurker ( )
Date: May 03, 2024 08:45PM

Writing is dead. Someone please tell Dave.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 03, 2024 08:52PM

LOLOLOLOLOL

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 13, 2024 04:47AM

That is a two pointer Mormon Adjacent Lurker. Best comment I have seen in a month of Sundays.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 03, 2024 10:14PM

Writing is dead. long live writing!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 13, 2024 07:39AM

Posted by: Non me ( )
Date: May 13, 2024 04:24AM

>
By the time I finish writing this sentence, vastly more data will have been generated around the world than was produced in the entire 18th century, indeed in the entire history of humanity prior to around 1900.

And most of it will be garbage and spam.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 13, 2024 11:39AM

What does this have to do with RFM?

Date: May 13, 2024 11:44AM

Today's writing medium is like the Golden Plates. Not physically real.

Posted by: *moremany* ( )
Date: May 14, 2024 12:25AM

There is a tremendous difference in what is written and what it is written on. Distinctions. In Mormonism's case, they were both fabricated.

Date: May 14, 2024 12:44AM

Fiction passed off as nonfiction to get your money and time. We were all played. Well, a fool and his money. You stop playing the fool and you're the bad guy.

Posted by: *moremany* ( )
Date: May 13, 2024 01:50PM

Number versus Letters
Letters and Numbers

What do they all mean?
I mean, nice, not mean!
You know what I mean.

TMI too much information
(Much of it nonsense)
(In the scheme of people, places & things)
...too many infinities...

One is all that counts
And I can only count to 1

It's wonderful... and,
It's no wonder!

I'm wonder-full ;)
So are you!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.