Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 07, 2024 02:05PM

I read two different comments about religions in America, one about the Mormons (Ezra Benson in particular) and one about a Catholic building. One was negative, one positive. Guess which was which.

From Kareem Abdul Jabbar, on a quote about Rachel Carson:

>Agriculturist Ezra Taft Benson responded to the book [Silent Spring] with personal attacks, wondering “Why a spinster with no children was so concerned about genetics?” Finally, he dismissed her as “probably a Communist,” which was, and still is, the go-to accusation of the right against those who disagree for any reason. For them, seeking truth is subversive.

Where to start? Misogyny, environmental mockery, political name calling...

From Clay Jenkinson at Listening to America, where he is at the moment retracing John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley, heading for Sag Harbor, Long Island.

I started the day by visiting the Portiuncula Chapel at Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio. It’s a marvelous replica of the chapel in Assisi where Francis heard directly from God and rededicated his life to “restoring the church.” I’ve wanted to see it for a very long time, ever since my friend Sharon Kilzer spoke of its beauty and its power to inspire.

Steubenville is close to Kirtland,OH, but neither the Kirtland nor the currently active Cleveland LDS temples made the cut to be visited. How many LDS sites are described by non-Mormons as having the power to inspire?

The difference between these two comments caught my attention. Mormons are famous for right-wing politics and polygamy, not the narrative the GAs want.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 07, 2024 05:16PM

Ezra B. was one of the worst. His misogamy in his "teachings" did more to wake me up about the inequality of women in the church than anything. The 1950s are not that far in history to see where they came up with their "culture."

I really don't understand how Catholics keep smelling like a rose. When it comes to women, they can sit down. Maybe it is the the pretty windows, costumes and musty medieval ambiance that exudes authority.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 07, 2024 06:43PM

Dagny, I grew up Catholic, and I don't get it either. As a young teen, I realized that the way the Catholic church treats women is intolerable. I wasn't about to have any part of it. I think that a number of active Catholic women hold their noses because their "salvation" is at stake.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.