Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mbreenntu ( )
Date: May 09, 2024 08:36AM

Hi all. I'm currently studying for a Master's degree in Sociology, for which I am conducting a research project into the experiences of LGBT+ ex-Mormons in the UK at Nottingham Trent University.

As a gay man who was born into the church, I've faced my own struggles. A decade after leaving the church, I still can't quite make peace with my parent's continued participation in the church despite its harmful teachings. There's been plenty of research into these issues in the US (especially in Utah), but there is basically no research in the UK. As a much less religious society than the US, the experience of being in the LDS Church in the UK is different, as are the perceptions of those around us, and potentially therefore our relationships to them. As such, I'm aiming to identify the challenges faced by UK-based LGBT+ ex-Mormons before, during and after leaving the church, and how they deal with this transition.

Therefore, I am looking for fellow LGBT+ ex-Mormons aged 18 and over in the UK to tell me their stories. I would also be happy to speak to family members or close friends of LGBT+ ex-Mormons who can give their insights. You can take part either in an online interview, or by providing a written statement about your experiences. You don't even need to tell me your real name, and the identity of all participants will be protected. If you decide to take part, you will still have the right to withdraw from the study, and any information you share will be protected in compliance with academic standards and UK data protection regulations, including GDPR.

If you would like an opportunity to tell your story, please message me or comment below, and I will be able to share more information and formal documentation. If you know anyone who is eligible and who you think might like to take part, please do share this post with them as it's so difficult to find participants and I'm really passionate about this work.

Thank you for your time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 09, 2024 09:23AM

Often posts like the one above get pulled as a request for us to verify was not made prior to posting. This could be legitimate. I ask the author to write to me at erickett@wingnet.net so we can get come verification. Nothing on the Internet is absolutely safe. Be cautious in responding.

Posted by: mbreenntu ( )
Date: May 09, 2024 09:34AM

Apologies I wasn't aware of the verification and will email you immediately from my university email address.
Edit: email sent :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2024 09:37AM by mbreenntu.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 09, 2024 01:51PM

It is from a valid University address. That is all I can confirm. Eric

Posted by: Rhythm of my Shoes ( )
Date: May 09, 2024 02:03PM

I would say Bradford is more religious than Provo these days. ;)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 09, 2024 02:18PM

As a lifelong heterosexual, I am offended!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 09, 2024 02:43PM

Reader's Letter: "As a lifelong heterosexual, I am offended!"

First Editor: "Factually incorrect. Revise to 'As a lifelong heterosexual, I am offensive!'"

Second Editor: "Irrelevant opening phrase. Revise to 'I am offensive!'"

Intern, sheepishly: "Is it too hyperbolic? Should we remove the exclamation point?"

Editor in Chief: "Why the hell are we talking about this? Give the girl some money and tell her to go away."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2024 05:33PM by Maude.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 09, 2024 03:21PM

Editor in Chief: "Why the hell are we talking about this? Give the girl some money and tell her to go away."

Accounts payable: “Remember how hard it was to get repaid last time?”

Editor in Chief: “Just spike it and call it a day.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2024 05:34PM by Maude.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: May 09, 2024 05:10PM

Oh yeah! As a lifelong Mormon I'm even more offended!

Posted by: vzgardner ( )
Date: May 09, 2024 05:16PM

One must, MUST I say, remember the adage: Only the offensive can be offended. I mean, call me a stop sign or giraffe, and see just how offended I don’t get.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 10, 2024 06:57AM

How about a No Parking sign? Just testing the limits... ;-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.