Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 04:43PM

I recently spent 5 days (very unexpectedly, I might add) in a Salt Lake City hospital. I'm doing fine now, thanks to a very good surgeon, and should be back to work in a few days.

While there, I was reminded that the church sends around people to visit, in fact I used to do that occasionally when I was active. But this time I found it quite disconcerting and annoying.

I had surgery about 10 am, and by 3 pm a couple just walked into my room and announced they were from the local LDS Branch. Do they have hospital branches now? I was pretty groggy and medicated and just told them I needed to sleep so they left.

The next day, they came back again about 10 am in the morning, again just walking into my room, not even asking permission. I was asleep and told them that they had awakened me and I needed the rest. I still wasn't lucid enough to tell them not to come back.

By now I was becoming irritated with this, so I had my wife ask the nursing station if they could stop their visits. They said with all the different shift changes that they couldn't guarantee it.

The next day, they caught me off guard while I was talking on the phone, and again just walked in. I let them give their speil, which wasn't much, just asking if they could do anything and letting me know about their branch Sunday services. I told them I'd be home by then and there was nothing they could do for me, so they left.

They came by once more, but I pretended to be asleep, so they walked in then walked out again.

So, I suspect that my medical records have an "LDS" indication on them from somewhere in the past. I haven't been hospitalized for over a dozen years so its possible that has never been changed. Next time, I'll make sure the admitting clerk removes it.

But still, I have some basic questions about this practice and patient privacy. I know that I could have said, and probably should have said, "I really don't care to have you here, please don't come back". But I do think it is a complete violation of boundaries for them to walk in to a hospital room of a total stranger and not even ask if the visits are welcomed. They take that for granted. Even if I was an active member, my own personal boundaries would have been violated by this. And, they didn't knock and wait for me to welcome them, they simply rapped on the door then walked in.

I know this is not a huge issue but just another in a long list of boundary issues that the church and its members don't seem to comprehend. It might even have HIPPA ramifications, since they could see the names of medications on the IV bags, and if a nurser were in the room, the computer screen would have been in plain view.

Anyone else bothered by this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 04:53PM

This same thing happened to my 91 year old mother when she was in the ICU in a Utah hospital last month. On Sunday morning I was with her and this woman and guy just barged into her room, said they were from the local LDS branch and did she want the sacrament! I told them she couldn't even speak and wasn't awake, being hooked up to all sorts of tubes, as they could clearly see. What did I get? The woman gave ME the stink eye and asked "Are you sure?" I repeated what I had just said and it was all I could do NOT to say some swear words. NO BOUNDARIES at all.

I complained to the head nurse who told me this was not protocol and that she would let the hospital administrator know. Oh really? I agree that HIPPA privacy rules should be enforced!!! Why does the mormon church get away with such nonsense?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2011 04:54PM by gemini.

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 04:55PM

Of course! What ever happened to privacy?

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 04:59PM

Having to deal with these people while you are recovering in a hospital bed is too much.

And they wonder why "we can leave the church but we can't leave it alone." This is why.

Posted by: moroni and cheese ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 05:02PM

It's no better than ambulance chasing. Cults recruit when people are vulnerable. I doubt that they were unaware that you are inactive. My cousin (and fellow apostate) is going through treatment for breast cancer. When she was first diagnosed, some of our well meaning, but clueless relatives tried to use her illness as an opportunity for some missionary work. She firmly but kindly let them know that this would not be tolerated. Surprisingly enough, the family members respected this and I believe that went a long way toward healing some broken relationships. Big mo's or not, my extended family is learning to respect some boundaries and remain supportive. I've been quite encouraged by their behavior lately. :)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 05:02PM

and a Priest come to visit me in a Catholic Hospital some years ago. I don't recall the specifics, but I just politely thanked them for their concern, I was not Catholic,I didn't need anything and would be leaving soon.

Posted by: kristine ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 06:51PM

This happened to me in a non-religious hospital. It said I was Lutheran on my records but a catholic priest kept coming by every morning asking if I wanted communion and could he pray for me even after I told him my own pastor is coming by to visit and will offer prayer and communion.

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 05:03PM

if that had happened to me when I had my gallbladder out a couple months ago. It would have been me ripping out my IV and squirting blood all over them.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 05:04PM

Wow! Remind me, the next time if I am injured in Utah to go across state lines.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 08:29AM

Good idea! ROTFL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2011 08:29AM by imalive.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 08:33AM

I'm glad I never had to be admitted to a hospital while at YBU.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 06:06PM

Shift changes and they can't guarrantee? That's what nursing notes and 'report' is for. In a word: unprofessional.

To anyone else out there in a denominational hospital who is pestered by unwanted clergy: ask for the number for the hospital administrator's office and don't be quiet until you get it. Then complain, complain, complain.

No matter what your chart says on intake, when you or your family indicate that you do not want spiritual visitation, it should be noted and adhered to. If not, make sure (loud and clear) that someone knows your displeasure. Don't be shy--you are ill and need your rest, this is not a time to be polite. Your health and well being are at stake here.

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 06:14PM

Our hospital doesn't inform a church when one of their members is in the hospital anymore. HIPPA is the reason. Maybe it is different if they are in some way connected to a church??

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 06:24PM

Though I think it's odd that a relic from a hospital visit over a decade ago would still have religious affiliation listed on it.

Three years ago, I was hospitalized several times during cancer treatment. Every time I checked in, whether just for testing or an extended stay, I was asked if I had a religious preference. I said no and had no unwanted visitors.

Who knows? Maybe they just asked me repeatedly because I have never listed a religious affiliation when in the hospital? Maybe the admittance/registration forms just default to what you listed the first time?

But, yeah, if it happens again, and I sincerely hope it doesn't, just make sure your patient record gets changed and see if it makes a difference.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 06:30PM

I'm sorry for your recent medical issues and the fact that the local LDS folks pestered you. It really seems wrong that strangers are allowed to just barge into your room and put you in the position of telling them to hit the road, especially when you're not feeling well. When they harass you at your home, at least you can avoid answering the door.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 06:31PM

I wouldn't mind if they checked with me. However, they should have the sense to knock or pause at the door and ask to come in, not bother a patient who is sleeping or obviously out of it, not interrupt a family visit and they should keep it short and not come back if told not to.They should also respect the religious views of the patient whatever they are. Same for priests and ministers of other faiths.Stopping in and asking if they can do anything for me is one thing, but continually bothering a sick patient or using a tragedy as a proselytizing opportunity isn't.A person without family might appreciate someone even a clergy person making a call for them or just listening to them.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 06:40PM

As a Catholic who works for the church and as a person who has been hospitalized in a Catholic hosptial and in public and other denominational hospitals: there are rules!

Catholic clergy are not supposed to visit non-Catholics and must ask permission of those who are in a Catholic institution. In a public hospital, the only Catholic clergy who may visit are those who are assigned by their diocese for that area and, again, by request.

In other denominational, they are supposed to ask first. In public hospitals they generally have chaplains that are non-denonminational, but they must be requested.

So . . . if someone walks in the room, COMPLAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!. A real Chaplain or Minister will first approach the family in waiting or stick their head around the door and ask--but only after a preference is noted in the chart.

Lesson: if you are ever hospitalized and do not want a visit, make sure it is noted! Say so! Do not, in any way, shape or form, indicate that you ever belonged to any religion. Unless you do want a visit. Then make absolutely sure that your preference is noted. You do not want a Lutheran Chaplain walking in if you are Jewish (been there--not pretty!).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2011 06:41PM by nwmcare.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 06:42PM

you could have some gross fun with it.

"No I don't mind if you visit as long as you don't mind if I'm on the bed pan right now."

"Why, have a chair right next to my bed here. The enema is starting to work, I should be done in just a minute."

"Does it smell like piss in here? I don't think this catheter is in me right, could you help me with it please?"

"These damn hospital gowns always get wrapped around my neck, I'm not showing too much crotch to have vistors, am I."

Or how about mumbling your temple name or part of the ritual like you are drugged?

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 06:54PM

lulu Wrote:
> "These damn hospital gowns always get wrapped
> around my neck, I'm not showing too much crotch to
> have vistors, am I."

Hehehe...

"I just got a wart removed from my ass" (roll and shift gown) "how does it look?"

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )

my2cents Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I know this is not a huge issue

Are you kidding? I'd say it's huge! I'd hit the roof!

I hope that you're feeling better. :-)

Posted by: Lucky ( )

>But still, I have some basic questions about this practice and >patient privacy. I know that I could have said, and probably >should have said, "I really don't care to have you here, >please don't come back". But I do think it is a complete >violation of boundaries for them to walk in to a hospital room >of a total stranger and not even ask if the visits are >welcomed. They take that for granted. Even if I was an active >member, my own personal boundaries would have been violated by >this. And, they didn't knock and wait for me to welcome them, >they simply rapped on the door then walked in.

>I know this is not a huge issue but just another in a long >list of boundary issues that the church and its members don't >seem to comprehend. It might even have HIPPA ramifications, >since they could see the names of medications on the IV bags, >and if a nurser were in the room, the computer screen would >have been in plain view.

>Anyone else bothered by this?

Thanks for another fine example as proof of what we all should learn: where LDS Inc is involved a person has no privacy.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 07:54PM

my2cents Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"But still, I have some basic questions about this practice and patient privacy. I know that I could have said, and probably should have said, "I really don't care to have you here, please don't come back". But I do think it is a complete violation of boundaries for them to walk in to a hospital room of a total stranger and not even ask if the visits are welcomed."

Exactly....They should ask the Nurse's station if patient -X- would like a visit from Brother and Sister so and so from the local ward.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 07:56PM

At the very least, they could knock, introduce themselves and ask permission to come in. If the person is out of it or very sick, they should leave.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 11:23PM

A woman in Boston is crossing the street, hit by a car, and severely injured.

A witness to the accident runs up and says "I have called an ambulance. Should I call a priest?"

The injured woman says "Nnnno... I'm a Unitarian."

The witness asks "Should I call a math professor?"

Posted by: nevermo-beck ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 08:47AM

Posted by: nevermo-beck ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 08:52AM

If one is atheist, I would recommend asking the hospital to note that, rather than "no religious preference." Seems to me that the latter implies openness to any chaplain or other religious representative's visit, while the former would make it more clear that none is wanted.

ETA: Sorry for placement; meant to add this at the bottom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2011 08:53AM by nevermo-beck.

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 07:29AM

I've been thinking abou this thread-I posted that we don't inform churches when one of their members are admitted BUT...we do have chaplins in the hospital that make rounds at specific times. We ask upon admission if the patient would like a visit from a chaplin during heir stay. If the answer is yes, visit starts. If the answer is NO,they might still get a visit,

I had a patient afew weeks back who said no when he came in. HE even made the comment that his mother forced relgious stuff on him and now (he was in his 60s) has no use for such things. Well, about 1 week later I saw an order appear for a chaplin. Based on his comment, I thought it was strange, When I looked to see who put the order in, I found it was computer generated. Evidently, when a patient has been hospitalized for a week an order is automatically sent for a chaplin consult.

Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 08:37AM

Thanks everyone, for your comments. Being informed is the best ammunition. I would have probably handled the situation differently had it not been an emergency. I went to the ER, and was in surgery in a matter of hours.

Next time (and hoping there really isn't a next time) I'll inform admissions that my religious preference is none, and I do not want ecclesiastical visits from any denomination. I hope that would stop them, but I will be more knowledgable in the future. I might even put a sign on my door "Hospital Staff and Family ONLY No Exceptions, not even for Mormons".

I still am amazed at their lack of boundaries, not even asking if I'd like to be visited by total strangers, just assuming that is the case.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.