Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stephnp ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 05:46PM

I recently moved and I haven't attended church in over 5 years. I wanted to get my membership number, however when I call my previous ward they tell me that I have to go to my current ward and the membership clerk will have to request my records and then they can give it to me. I tried calling the headquarters and they told me the same thing. Is there anyway I can find out what my number is without having to go to church?? Thank you!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 05:49PM

asking the Ward Clerk for it. It's on your records. If he doesn't know you personally, you'll have to meet with him and confirm who you are. That information is considered confidential and they won't give it out over the phone. That's my experience.

Date: July 26, 2011 05:54PM

Thanks. I was hoping I could avoid going to church to get it, but apparently not. You would think they could verify my identity over the phone by asking birthday or baptism date or something...sigh...oh well. It was worth a try. Thanks again!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 06:35PM

stephnp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks. I was hoping I could avoid going to church
> to get it, but apparently not. You would think
> they could verify my identity over the phone by
> asking birthday or baptism date or
> something...sigh...oh well. It was worth a try.
> Thanks again!

I know how frustrating it can be, but they are typically very careful with their information. Maybe it's something to do with HIPPA privacy?? I don't know.
Oh well. Have fun! :-)

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 09:14AM

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
that has nothing to do with any church!!
just sayin!!

Posted by: moroni and cheese ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 06:56PM

Genuinely curious....

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 08:43AM

With the membership number and your confirmation date, you can sign in on lds.org and get information/news related to your ward and stake. You would also receive emails sent by the stake/ward leaders.

Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 08:18PM

If you have ever been to the temple, your membership number is on the recommend.

Date: July 27, 2011 01:57AM

I never had a recommend. I converted and never paid a full tithe so I never attempted to get a recommend. I wanted to log into the lds.org site to check on ward boundries and I can't do it without that number. Also I've toyed with removing my name before and I believe I would need to include that number. I'm really wishy washy right now on my thoughts on the church. Part of me misses the community and activity, part of me knows I'm way too much of a liberal feminist to ever fit in...

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 02:00AM

You can look at ward boundaries with out signing in. I found out the Bishops name for my area by going to a site that had something like "Find a place to Worship" or something like that.

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 07:20AM

I did not have my membership number when I sent in my resignation. I did include my current adress, maiden name, and married name. I also included my currant ward and 3 of my kids names. For a cult that prides itself in record keeping, I'm sure they can figure it out...

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 09:11AM

Right, I included that plus my baptism date and place. They figured it out.

Unfortunately, there's at least one internet source that says to get your membership number to resign, and I think it may be discourging some people who don't want to talk to anyone from resigning.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.