Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 01:42AM

So I was having a general convo with my nevermo friend about life in Utah (I grew up in SE Idaho, lots of old mo family from UT). He asked me about normal "kid" stuff. Like video games, playing with matches, etc.

I told him I thought video games were generally ok as long as they had "clean" content, matches would be like any normal kid thing.

But he asked me about kids getting into physical fights. I know that violence is not condoned, either in or out of the TSCC, but I could not figure out if mormons have a particularly unique stance on fist fights like they do on things like earrings. What do you guys think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2011 09:37PM by Pista.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 09:40AM

I think you'll find Mormon families all over the spectrum on retaliation against violent behavior. I think most TBM families would say "Don't start a fight." But how to respond to violence...that's a different thing.

Most would say you should defend yourself if attacked, although I think most would agree that you should just try to remove yourself from the situation first, if possible. Isn't this in line with what most parents say?

It's funny that the church has clear teachings on things like earrings and movie ratings, but really says nothing about how to act in "Christlike" ways toward bullies and violent people.

I think it's because the church is a bully and acts in psychologically violent ways, and it doesn't want to discuss how bullies act because people might catch on.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 02:08PM

That's exactly why I asked the question. In a culture that dictates what I can drink for breakfast, I was surprised that I was drawing a blank when asked about kids and violence.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 02:28PM

Mormon morals:

Violence is not encouraged but "mostly okay". Showing or seeing any skin is super bad and next to murder. murder is fine to watch but should not be engaged in unless...and I want to make this perfectly clear, unless they do say jehovah. oops sorry got off on my monty python again. What I meant to say is: "Murder is not okay unless a voice in your head says it is." Got it?

Posted by: Devorah ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 04:03PM

In my experience with morg families, violent horror movies are kid-fare but a film that is tasteful but shows even just a hint of (gasp) skin or sex is a huge no-no for everyone.

Posted by: milamber ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 04:24PM

As a kid growing up in the cult, it was my mother that would tell me and my brothers to protect mormon kids at school.

They were always getting picked on because they were so weird. They made perfect targets for bullies. They wouldn't fight back and they wouldn't tell anyone except their mommies.

And since my mom had 5 boys that could fight well, the mo-kids' mothers would come to her for help.

So, I grew up fighting bullies while the mo-kids ran away.
They probably thought of us as 5 Ammons or Danites, or something... Did I mention that the mo-kids were weird?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 08:44PM

There is a macho, "cowboy" component to Mo life, as all over the western states. Tough guys, who get the job done.

That's why Joe and Brig had the Danites, to get tough and get the job done, like real men do.

When I worked for Hawaii Reserves, we had a new VP from Utah, and I got to work with him. When he heard that one of our workers, a Polynesian elder, had punched out some youth for vandalizing the paint job at the shopping center, he said, "I love it!"

Believe me, this guy had few ethics, beyond supporting the LDS agenda full on. He and his buds were on a "mission from god" (like the Blues Brothers), and nothing was gonna get in their way. Physical violence was accepted as a part of the toolkit, along with legal tricks, lies and crimes against the public.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2011 09:06PM by hello.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.