Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 01:30PM

My daughter asked me at the family BBQ: "You are still coming to the baby blessing, right?" I hesitated. She asked me again. I caved and said I would. She knows I really don't want to. So she gave me some assignments....LOL. She wants me to leave the meeting early (NO problem there) and come back to the house to get some things ready for the lunch after the 3 hour block.

But, I am really dreading the meeting. Really dreading it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 01:31PM

Why not just bounce right after the blessing?

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 01:41PM

Tell her you're old and can't do both. Say setting up for afterwards is about all you can handle. I pull the "old and decrepit" card all the time, then get yelled at when they see me doing the lawn Saturday morning and then riding the Harley in the afternoon.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 01:46PM

OK i've gotten to my wits end with this.

I dont know why non mormons dont start insisting on Mormies going to christianings and the like. Or Ex mos going for shinto weddings so the happy cople picks exactly who goes into see the actual wedding bit.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 01:47PM

Huh? I need a translator.

Ron

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 11:20PM

Are Mormons allowed to go to Christenings or baptisms in a Protestant church? Seriously I don't know since I am a nevermo. How many would go if they are allowed.

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 12:27AM

I am assuming yes. My mo in-laws have actually been quite good about coming to my childrens' baptisms. Although, most of them were conveniently out of town for my oldest sons first communion. They do, however, omit showing up for the mass. Instead, they all pile in at the end of mass just in time for the baptism, while, whenever we have to attend baby's blessings and baptisms at their mormon church, we are required to attend the whole she-bang. Also, I have noticed that they always give non-religous gifts to my children at their baptisms and such. My son got a gift card to a fast food chain for his first communion. I thought that was interesting. Maybe it is to get back at me. I always give their kids crosses or things with crosses on them. They won't admit to me that they don't like crosses.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 03:42AM

I like that you give crosses....afterall they say they are Christian so what is the big deal. And what your child was given was so improper. Honestly, what a dumb gift.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 12:30AM

There is no Mormon rule about attending other churches. It is up to the individual.Some will go and some won't.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 01:52PM

I recently attended a week long family reunion at a central location where none of us live, so we could all leave responsibilities and kids at home. It was planned months in advance.

One TBM brother had to leave after 3 days because his 13th grandkid was being blessed 1000 miles away.

It put the rest of us in our place. We aren't as important.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 11:51PM

Then after the Priestcrafters are finished, invited ALL in attendance who want to participate, to join you in the Grandmother's Blessing. You don't have to claim any special power. Just offer your blessing as the Grandmother.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.