Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 04:05PM

With all the talk about TBM men not acknowledging women, I picked up on this happening about 15 minutes ago at work.

I was sitting at the lunch table with a male and female co-worker. No one else around or close by. The male is a NOM I think, doesn't act or talk like a TBM, but attends church, and is a cool guy.

A true TBM walks up to our table with his lunch and says, "May I join you....(pause)......Bretheren?"

I looked up and said, "Sisteren too", acknowledging our female co-worker, to which he replied, "Bretheren and Sisteren" and gave a little smirk / chuckle.

He may not even realize that he did it, but he did, and I saw it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 10:57PM

I think a lot of Mormon men are still just plain uncomfortable with the idea of women in the work force ... what with all the "sexual tension" created and the accompanying "threats" to their marital fidelity ... or something!?!?!?!?

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 11:01PM

yep darn females. just cant control our sexiness (JOKING of course :)

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 11:53PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 01:46PM

That was a clear display of Mormon culture, including the language!
I only heard that kind of thing when I was in UT.
Usually the LDS workers kept their Mormon-Speak out of the work place.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 02:39PM

No, not all Mormon men, but a lot of them! Some men, the ones who might as well wear a Tshirt advertising they're RMs, simply look over women's heads, as if scanning the horizon for someone more worthy than this lowly non-Mo woman (me). It's quite blatant, and I want to kick them in the shins to get their attention.

Then there are the ones who at times seem to relish the freedom of talking with a non-Mo woman (one nice older Mormon acquaintance advised me to "wear something low-cut" for an audition - whaaat?? No.) dropping naughty words and such when out of earshot of other TBMs, but in their presence, is downright prudish, whilst apparently unable to keep mormony phrases and subjects out of conversations.

This same aforementioned gentleman, while talking with me and his wife, abruptly stepped in front of his wife and took over, shutting her out in the middle of the conversation. She, as if out of habit, melted quietly away, like she was the hired help. I was gobsmacked, couldn't even react (shame on me). I've seen this since then with other Mormon couples, but to be fair, with some super-fundy xtian couples too, like my obnoxious cousin treats his wife. Respect my ever lovin' foot!

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 01:56PM

I was reading Cougarboard a while back. A poster requested advice as to what to do in a situation where an office lunch had been planned but for whatever reason just he and a female co-worker were available to go. Most of the posters advised him to cancel on the basis that going to lunch with her alone would look bad and possibly lead to some kind of romantic interlude. I have to admit that I was genuinely surprised that in 2011 anyone really thought this was much of an issue. I can see exercising caution when going out alone with an intern or someone over whom I have a massive amount of influence, but a peer?

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 01:57PM

Yep, they'll be having sex and smoking crack and kicking babies in no time if they go out by themselves.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 02:42PM

Sometimes guys can't look at girls with big boobies.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.