Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: justanotherprettypiece ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 07:02PM

I have a friend who is moving from Idaho to Washington because her husband is going to go to school there and they travelled up there to look for apartments to rent.

This friend told me that they could not find any apartments in the city that they are moving to because all the neighborhoods were "white trash" and people were "playing beer pong in their front yards and smoking pot" and that they were too afraid to even get out of their car to look at apartments. I highly doubt that those neighborhoods were as scary as she thought they were. It's possible I'm wrong. But I've been thinking a lot about what she said and how she said it and it actually really bothers me. I'd never noticed it with her before but I could just sense the reeking judgment she has with people who are different. And her thought process of "Oh no those people are playing beer pong, I can't get out of the car or they might rape me!" (she didn't actually say that but it's essentially the same thing, isn't it?)

This friend and another (both I hadn't seen in a couple years) also kept asking me about how much money my husband and I get for housing in the military. This REALLY bothered me. My husband and I have a really nice house and are doing really well and every time I said something positive I could see the judgement going on behind their eyes. They were comparing their lives to mine and were disappointed that mine is going so well. It's almost like they were hoping my life was going horrible because I'm out of the church and they are still mormon and obviously they should be more blessed than I am.

It really is amazing the things you notice about people after not seeing them for a long time. I just needed to get all those annoyances off my chest :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2011 07:04PM by justanotherprettypiece.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 07:04PM

<<<<<"playing beer pong in their front yards and smoking pot">>>>>>>

sounds like your friend wouldn't know what a cool neighbor is if one punched her in the face.

Posted by: justanotherprettypiece ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 07:07PM

lol exactly!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 07:10PM

My taste in music.

My hair.

My choice of underclothes.

So, am I white trash?

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 07:18PM

Is this a trick question?

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 12:16AM

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 07:15PM

I wear a wife beater tank top sometimes. I guess that's white trash. It's usually nice and white. When it starts getting stained up in the front, that's when I know I need a new one. ;)

Posted by: a-n-o-n ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 07:23PM

my friends and I play flip cup or beer pong basically every time we get together and are drinking. I am the only one of us even CLOSE to being white trash. I'm well off but I love to fish and drag race, and I usually have my dog with me everywhere I go.

the rest are BMW-driving, condo-living-in, make-more-money-than-they-have-sense types.

hey if she wants classy neighbors, she needs to look for the ones playing wine pong!!! lol

beer pong is a sport, thus I am an athlete... *burp*

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 07:27PM

Beer pong is not a "white trash" thing. It's a young drinker thing. It's a staple at frat houses and parties everywhere.

If your friends are inexperienced enough to be freaked out by a little beer, they probably don't even know what pot smells or looks like. Sounds like they just didn't feel comfortable in a neighborhood that was different from what they are used to.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 10:05PM

nice to know the white trash get into it to.

No pass the blunt, join hands and we can all sing kumbaya.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 08:43AM

Sounds a little naive to me. Beer pong is a normal college game/initiation. It's no different than thumbmaster or quarters.

Meth is the "white trash" drug, not pot.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 07:31PM

Date: July 27, 2011 07:33PM

http://www.bpong.com/

we used to play a derivative called 'beirut' in college.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_pong

Date: July 27, 2011 07:34PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 07:55PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 07:38PM

It risks wasting beer! That's not white trash... that's... SICK!

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 01:57AM

Kids that age who are playing beer pong aren't drinking beer worth the price of the can it came in.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 07:51PM

There's a scene where they play beer pong in the movie Beerfest. It's pretty funny.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 08:12PM

And I've got news for her, the kids that she saw are the preppies. They will graduate on time and get good jobs and make oodles of money. And weirdly, most will turn into upstanding, responsible citizens. They're just blowing off some steam in the meantime.

There might be reasons why she doesn't want to live in a student neighborhood, but she's missing the forest for the trees. The major problems are noise (stereos cranked to the max, and all those drunken parties!) and the yards of student houses will generally be unkempt. Oh, and there will be five cars in every driveway. Other than that, no worries.

Tell her to look further out.

As for your friends' judgmental attitude about your lifestyle, boo-hoo for them. I guess they have yet to figure out that your family has earned every penny of what you've got. Maybe someday they'll grow up.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 01:53AM

In the college dorms. I guess that makes me the reigning **White Trash Queen**. (Y'all can curtsy/bow anytime now). heh.

;o)

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 10:28AM

This sounds fishy. If they're so unschooled in white trash activities, then how did they recognize beer pong when they saw it?

odd that.

Ron

Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 10:35AM

I thought this topic was misspelled. Then I wondered why use beer in a bong.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:14AM

No.

Beer pong is for the Frat-tastic crowd. White trash do not bother playing games with their beer. They just drink it.

And I highly doubt people were smoking pot in the front yard. Cigarettes maybe. I would expect a mormon to not know the difference. That's just begging for the cops to come along and bust you so you lose your federal financial aid. Dum dum dum dum dum...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.