Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 12:23AM

My daughter - not the Mormon one- is the coordinator for a huge baby shower for military moms/moms to be tomorrow... over 100 moms. We have been putting donations of bath items, clothing, blankets, etc. in the gift baskets all wk. Well, tonight I opened one box of donations and low and behold it is from the Mormons of SLC. We don't live in Utah. The ad on the front is a sticky and it is written in three languages...don't even think one is Spanish...one may be Hebrew. Anyhow, I said this is NOT a freakin' time to be advertising so I took all their sticky ads off.

Must they always push their religion????? Most churches give to charities and give donations for this sort of thing all the time and since this is from the general public mostly it annoys me to no end that they feel they can't just give out of the goodness of their heart. We appreciate the clothing, etc., but NOT the ad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2011 12:23AM by honestone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 12:31AM

I have been involved with several orgs that put together gift baskets and such for different occasions, it is not uncommon for the contributing org or biz to have a sticky with their name on it. I see nothing wrong with that. Hells, bells, when Home Depot or Coke or Taco Bell gives anything they put their name on it also - get over it. Not a big deal. You sound ungrateful IMO.

Date: July 30, 2011 03:35AM

This is a freakin church bigred....not a business....oh, that's right. It is a business. I forgot.

Posted by: meagainat40 ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 02:02AM

Any other church organization would not include information about their church with this kind of donation. It is definitely a Mormon church thing. Why can't they just give and be happy to help...why do they have to say who it is from???? Appearances are what they are all about. honestone said they were happy with the donation...she was not ungrateful, but I can see where she is coming from. Can't they just donate anonymously?

Posted by: meagainat40 ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 02:07AM

....by the way. I never did get that about the Mormon church. You are supposed to be humble and do things out of kindness not for the recognition. I never saw that happen in the LDS church. They always wanted everyone to see that the Mormons had done something good. As a convert I always asked my husband why the LDS church never seemed to do things humbly.

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 03:50AM

Exactly! I hate hearing all the stats of just how wonderful and charitable Mobots are. "WOW brothers and sisters, 2MILLION dollars in donations last year! We truly are Gods chosen,"
McDonalds does more good for the world AND boasts less. How sad.

Posted by: unbeliever42 ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 12:19PM

Charity and service are only sincere if they are done without the expectation of receiving something in return. That includes accolades and approbation.

Date: July 30, 2011 12:51PM

+1

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.