Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: commonsense ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 02:25AM

There are those who have a profound gift in not sharing to others what they learn when it comes to Church history. They are able to tell the faithful history when needed and share to a few choice friends the true history. I at times fall guilty in telling TBMs about my latest discoveries in Mormon history. It's much like telling a child there is no Santa Claus. You can literally see the wind get knocked out of them. They are amazed. They have believed Mormon history as it was a grand, but true fairy tale.

I recently laid down some of the problems with the early Church history with the Book of Mormon and the witnesses to a TBM lawyer. I thought because of her profession she could handle it. I quickly discovered that she has not used her skillets to critically analyze the claims of Mormonism. She was quite surprised. I went through the problems with Martin Harris and his testimony and how he was much like a "spiritual gypsy." She kept asking questions, so I thought she was fine with our conversation.

Apparently, she was not fine with the experience. I probably exploded her TBM world into a 1,000 different pieces and now she is probably not so cool with it. I have not heard back from her since that conversation, so I can safely assume she thinks I am an apostate and now she has a bigger burden to carry since she now knows that Joseph very likely had sexual relations with some of his polyandrous wives, which of course, is not an easy pill to swallow.

I wish the history as portrayed by the Church were 100% true. It would be a grand thing. But, for now, I am stuck in the rut of reality. And since I have left never-never land of fairy tales of Mormon history, I can never go back to being a Stage 3 Mormon (See Fowler’s Stages of Faith). I have always found it sad that people are always angry at the messenger instead of the protagonist in history. I didn’t make Joseph marry all of those women and have sex with many of them; he did by his own volition. Yet, if you bring up accurate history to TBMs, they are ready to spiritually stone you. Didn’t Jesus say, “The truth shall make you free?”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 03:50AM

I don't care how many women Joe bedded... Until:

-Until their husbands were away on 'Mishions' called by Joe

-Until the Mos were lying/denying about it

-Until it F'd up young men & young women.

Conversely, I wish the Mos would TELL 100% the TRUTH.

Truth? Ask Mark Hofmann (& ChurchCo's $ supporting him)

Ask the victims of the Danite murders, the Victims of the MMM; they'll tell you!

Ask the victims of the Handcart Voyages how 'faith promoting' it was to see family members die along the way because of POOR PLANNING.

Truth? Mormon's can't abide it; at home, at work, or at Church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.