Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The 1st FreeAtLast ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 04:10AM

"Scientology operates more as a business than as a church, relying on techniques perfected by car salesmen to attract new members and celebrities to its rolls.

"That's just one of the takeaways from Janet Reitman's controversial book about the world's most controversial and secretive religion. 'Inside Scientology' chronicles L. Ron Hubbard's creation of Scientology six decades ago and traces its development into the faith of choice for movie stars such as John Travolta and Tom Cruise."

"Q: There are all these rumors that celebrities like Cruise remain Scientologists because the church knows all their secrets and they fear blackmail. Any truth to that?

"A: I didn't go into that too much in my book, but it seems obvious. They have the goods on everybody. A great part of the Scientology experience is the confession that happens in the auditing experience. You are constantly being asked to write up your transgressions, maybe even your unspoken transgressions. They know everything about you. They would know everything about Cruise in the same way that they would know everything about me if I were a member."

"Q: How is the celebrity experience different than that of average Scientologists?

"A: Basically to ensure that they have a happy experience, are shielded from anything negative. They have church appointed minders who guide them through the process. They have no idea the level of control they're under."

"Q: What shocked you the most about Scientology?

"A: I didn't expect to find out how much of a business they were. They are almost like a multi-level marketing firm. They have a very shrewd marketing sense. They are drilled on how to sell. They use a book written by a car salesman that talks about sure-fire sales techniques and it shows you how to close the deal. It's an essential part of their training."

(Ref. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/29/us-books-scientology-idUSTRE76S6S120110729 )

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mr. mike ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 06:04AM

Interesting she doesn't bring up how Travolta may not be an active Scientologist anymore because of the death of his son (and his alleged homosexuality or bisexuality, which is a big "sin" in the "church.")

Kabbalah is a whole other kettle of fish....

For more info on Scientology, check out www.xenu.net, aka "Operation Clambake." Loads of interesing stuff.

If you like video, check out www.xenutv.com, the online home of Mark Bunker, aka "Wise Beard Man" ("His words are wise. His face is beard.")

Posted by: nevermo-beck ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 01:09PM

I've read the book - it's interesting, even if you know the basics of Scientology.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.