Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: unbeliever42 ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 12:24PM

Wow. In a discussion elsethread ("Testimony"), someone said that they hated how Morgs will say "I know you know the church is true."

It just occurred to me that my MIL said that to me the first time my husband brought me to a family event. He was outside with his dad at the barbecue, and his mom came up to me and said "I know that [his name] is going through a bad patch right now, but I know he knows the church is true, so I hope you'll support him in that."

Uh... what? I didn't know, at the time, that "I know he knows the church is true" is a common "enforcing testimony" phrase among Morgs, but looking back, I wonder - did this woman, who knew that I was her son's boyfriend (because he made a point of saying it to everyone I was introduced to that day), really think that I was going to push him to be a good little Morgbot?

Denial much? This woman was not just in denial, she was swimming in the middle of the river. We're talking sand, obelisks, sand, cobras, sand, pyramids, sand, lilies on the river, sand, crocodiles, sand, a big-ass river delta, sand... she had her head buried in it up to the shoulders, at least.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: unbeliever42 ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 12:32PM

And now that I think about it, this is another Morg redefinition of a word that just drives me nuts (see my other thread about "Offended"). "Know" means to have definitive proof, not to really really really really really wish hard (aka believe) and hope that it's true.

When a Morg says to someone else, "I know you know the church is true," they don't know any such thing. They are wishing and hoping that it's true, but they're also lying through their teeth, because they KNOW NOTHING.

ARRRRGH this irritates me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.