Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 12:51AM

...I vote yes

IMO, the Book of Mormon, D&C, and Pearl of Great Price are the best "anti-Mormon literature" out there. My testimoney(sic) of 18 years collapsed under the weight of nothing but the Standard Works. Too many WTF's in there.

Don't get me wrong, I think the scrutinous "body of research" on mormonism is compelling and explanatory, but before anyone studies it they have to be open to it first. I wasn't, until Mormonism's own internal paradoxes and my own preoccupation with trying to make it all work anyway forced me out on a limb and it all came crashing down.

It's amazing how I conditioned myself to not even notice (or even think they were forms of higher benevolence), the bald-faced atrocities of the Book of Mormon.

It's easy, I can count the fatal flaws on one hand. 1,2,3.

1. The book unequivocally states that God cursed the Lamanites with a skin of blackness. It's not just an isolated passing verse either, it's a theme throughout the whole book. If that's not enough the PGP is not quite as unequivocal, but it's one heck of a squirm to get out of, that the infamous "curse of Cain" was...a black skin.
Mormon apologists dig their own pit answering this. You don't even need to do any work. Not to pick on anyone, I'll pick on myself: About my first week in the mission field (to a Great Lakes state), we "followed-up" on an investigator's progress in her "commitment" to read the BoM. She answered the door, almost speechless, shaking, and ran to get the book. She had 2Ne5:21 dogeared and highlighted, and asked us to explain. That was my first attempt as an apologist. Since then I've realized that the BoM forces the defender into a small menu of possibilities, and that you pretty much come up with them spontaneously. The exception, and the most aggregious one, is the Jesus-and-the-Gentiles cop out. That's where Jesus says hold off on preaching to the gentiles for now in the bible, and that's supposed to somehow equate to hold off on preaching to the blacks. And that's their BEST one! The pit only gets deeper, and they're digging it themselves.

2. The book is unequivocal that God massively culled the "Lamanites" to make room for a believing nation in America (of white gentiles), as a direct result of their fall from ancient American christianity. Nevermind the new apologetic posture that Lamanites were a nearly extinct minority mixed in with the asiatic population, ie the DNA debate, which means God not only wiped out the Lamanites but took down millions in collateral damage. Nice to be god, the Hague can't indict Me. But assuming God was a better shot than that, and ONLY exterminated true-blood Lamanites, it's still, well, fucked up huh? (BTW the Quetzelquatl or whatever myth was "whitened" by the Spaniards to aid in the conquest, and the myth existed 300 years before the Book of Mormon was written. Apologists love to say Smith couldn't have known about it, come on, 300 years, and Smith made a living seeing gold rumored to be buried all over the countryside by...Spaniards?)

3. The book laments, with crocidile tears (Oh how hast thou fallen), the plight of the Jews with the they-had-it-coming explanation of "none other nation on earth would crucify their God". Hmmm. That's all I have to say about that. You fill it in.

So, yes, by all means READ the Book of Mormon. I didn't get to the lame polygamy "law" in the D&C. The mormon scriptures dig their own pit to fall in. I read the BoM 20-30 times in my 18 years as a TBM. I was a full-on chapter-a-day believer right up to the day my testimoney collapsed, not despite the BoM, because of it. In 2009 Elder Holland lashed out that if you leave this church it's crawling "over, under, and around the BoM". He left out "through", it was my window out.

And lastly, my plug for the Spalding-Rigdon theory. Elder Holland called it "pathetic". I find it parsimonious. Please, anyone who's got good evidence to the contrary, pull the seams for me. A good theory welcomes competition.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fancypants ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 01:15AM

I'm still in 1 Nephi. I get bored and don't comprehend what I'm reading. It's definitely going to take a while to finish the whole darn thing!

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 02:12AM

...coaching someone through the Book of Mormon!

The two HUGE bottlenecks are the many chapters copied straight from Isaiah that you've just gotten to, and endless war in the sixty-something-chapter Book of Alma.

Mosiah is an easy read, my fav, I think it's probably the most original book, the least contrived.

But, instead of asking you to read "Moroni's promise" (Mor10:3-5) and pray to ask whether the book is true (which you might as well do, don't take my word for it that it isn't true, especially if God will tell you), IMO there's an increasingly balanced theory for the books origin: The Spalding-Rigdon theory.

I say it apologetically because it is still very undecided and contested in the countertheory community. But, I'm sorry to say, you can't pray to know if the Spalding-Rigdon theory is true. I certainly don't know that it is. It has its strengths and weaknesses. I've been politely rebuked for overstating here before.

But, the one thing that persuaded me to favor it was that there is a manuscript in existence today, owned by Oberlin College in Ohio, that all parties including Mormons agree is an authentic Spalding manuscript. It's not supposed to be the proto BoM, but it's a large sample of text (over 100 pages) written by Spalding, who theoretically also wrote the BoM. The church as far back as the 1880's said there are absolutely no similarities and the existence of the manuscript buries the theory for good...but once you've read the BoM you can see MANY CLOSE comparisons on your own. You can readily recognize a Spalding voice in the BoM and vice versa.

I think the more who read it the better, because the evidence of it's manufacture is written right in it, IMO.

Posted by: exmo99 ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 09:19AM

The BOM is a horrible read either fiction, fact, or fantasy.

There is only one decent book in the whole thing and much of it is plagiarized. Had ole Joe translated it to the "modern" english of the 1830's he'd have much more of a leg to stand on for the "truth" angle. As it is, the plagiarizing of the errors helps to show that he copied a lot of it.

Go read Harry Potter - it's much more of a fulfilling read and much more believable..

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 10:45AM

As a TBM I used to have my head in that "thing" of a book all the time. Now I grumble everytime I see one. For some damn reason I still have several of them. They seem to keep popping up like weeds throughout the house.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 11:06AM

Another for my list of Oxymorons!

chloriform in print says Mark Twain.

Have you read Who Really Wrote the Book of Mormon?

Fills The Bill, IMHO

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 11:13AM

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Scriptures-Special-Enabled-ebook/dp/B004HFS68C/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1312470711&sr=1-3

I've thought about getting it, but I hate for one ¢ent of my hard-earned money going to TSCC, y'know?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.