Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Grey ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 08:51PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14461431

Why can't these pigs be shot dead on sight?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 08:52PM

Date: August 09, 2011 09:08PM

Living in Utah triggers my PTSD, because I cannot leave the state. Every day I am reminded of what they did to me, whether I want to remember or not.

I post to this board for recovery, and am often ignored when I need support. We have had a lot of posts on rioting in the UK. It is upsetting I am sure, but how many of you are actually in the midst of it, and what does it have to do with the cult?

I was homeless, because of LD$, and had my property stolen, and destroyed either by LD$ or as a result of LD$. Have you had any LD$ rioters steal your stuff?

Just wondering.

Posted by: Matt not logged in ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 05:54AM

We are in the midst of it. Just to let you know.

My boss is getting qoutes for boarding up our offices.

Were you ignored on this board? That's news to me. Sometimes posts might slip due to a high volume of posts. Stuff happens. Sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2011 05:16PM by Susan I/S.

Date: August 10, 2011 04:20PM

> We are in the midst of it. Just to let you know.
> My boss is getting qoutes for boarding up our offices.

Well Matt, apparently you are not in the midst of it, because if you were, you would not have had the time to not only think about boarding up your offices, BUT TIME TO GET QUOTES! Give me a break. You are only anticipating being "in the midst of it".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2011 04:22PM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 04:47PM

You seem to have problems. OK,take them out on other posters if that makes you feel like you are da man.

Perhaps you need a break from RFM, if you can't ignore posts/threads that aren't to your liking?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2011 05:17PM by Susan I/S.

Date: August 10, 2011 05:22PM

> You seem to have problems. OK,take them out on
> other posters if that makes you feel like you are
> da man.

Once again, I am female. You display the typical TBM priesthood superiority MO as well, to label me the one with the "problems" since I just told you some, and to deflect away from legitimate comments about racism, and OT diversions. Like YOU are the one with your $hit together. Seriously? You are trying to get attention over something that is not morg-related, and which is not affecting you personally. You are trying so hard, stretching it, to make it seem relevant. You are attention-seeking, and do not have a real or relevant problem.

> Perhaps you need a break from RFM, if you can't
> ignore posts/threads that aren't to your liking?

TBM response: if you don't like it, leave. The upstanding priesthood will tolerate no dissent!

Date: August 10, 2011 05:50AM

atheist&happy:-) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

No? Really? Gee. Thanks for that, A&H. We never would have guessed that for ourselves. :o/\

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 08:54AM

Yes, OT - but well within board guidelines - and equally important: the events under discussion involve the country of long-standing board members for whom there is naturally concern and commiseration.

Now, we can really go OT and discuss the Presidential aspirations of a certain Mormon Prince.

Posted by: Grey ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 09:35PM

You ask:

<< how many of you are actually in the midst of it >>

There are a few RfM posters amd lurkers who are in the midst of it, or who are concerned by it, e.g. Clare, Jay, Jake, Matt, Robert amd many more. I attened a ex-mormon meeting in London with them. Incidentally, we recently sold our home just outside London. I've lived in the enighbourhood for 24 years.

But your question si almost irrelevant. If there was only one British poster on RfM posting about it, that would be enough. Any reasonabler person with sympathy or empathy wouldn't seek to point out the absence of an "O/T" in the poster's note.

<< what does it have to do with the cult? >>

Again, irrelevant. Post which are off topic can be posted here. And often are.

<< I post to this board for recovery, and am often ignored when I need support >>

I have two autistic children, a tumor in my head, had a bleed in the head, numerous scars on the brian, am diabetic, prolapsed c6-c7 disk, have not had a peaceful night's sleep for many years. Often feel physically grim and in pain. And have other health problems. But *very fortunately* I feel absolutely no need to seek sympathy, empathy or support. I'm lucky, I suppose. I get on with my life. And if and when things ever become unbearable, i'll simply end it all with a herion overdose. I've never done drugs in my life, but that's how I will do it. Until then, i'll keep going.

Having said asll of that, I'm not immune to your situation and your need for help and words of encouragement.

Have you ever sought counseling? Or do you have a close friend you can talk to?

Nortmally, i just lurk, like many others, but I'll keep an eye open for your posts, and if I have the energy or if I can chip in, i will.

<< Have you had any LD$ rioters steal your stuff? >>

For many years, the Morg stole money in the form of tithing, and it also stole my life and happiness. Once I discovered that mormon cult is dishonest about its history, I left. The truth set me free.

Chin up.

Best wishes and Kindest regards

Grey

Date: August 10, 2011 04:16PM

> There are a few RfM posters amd lurkers who are in
> the midst of it, or who are concerned by it, e.g.
> Clare, Jay, Jake, Matt, Robert amd many more. I
> attened a ex-mormon meeting in London with them.
> Incidentally, we recently sold our home just
> outside London. I've lived in the enighbourhood
> for 24 years.

From the reports I read on this board, no one is in the midst of this. So y'all meet in London, and you used to live there? By that measure I was in Hurricane Katrina by proxy, because my cousin died in NOLA a few years earlier.

> But your question si almost irrelevant. If there
> was only one British poster on RfM posting about
> it, that would be enough. Any reasonabler person
> with sympathy or empathy wouldn't seek to point
> out the absence of an "O/T" in the poster's note.

From what I can tell there is not one poster personally traumatized by this. Let's see - I endured homelessness for nearly a year, assault, stalking for over a year, breaking & entering, sexual harassment, property loss & damage, and long lasting PTSD, and more I cannot discuss, because of the cult. I am disabled, and do not have the means to restore what I lost, and no one gives a damn in this state, because I am an "apostate", disabled, female, and I am sure I could think of other reasons why I am downgraded from full human being status here in Utah. So tell me again, how you are traumatized by this, and what has it to do with recovery? It is just one more sensational topic that has nothing to do with real morg induced trauma.

I do not have empathy for people who make racist comments, and am shocked at the statements made by some British posters here, but maybe should not be, after all, maybe that was one of the selling points of TSCC for you. I have empathy for all the people in your country who do not have the privilege of being white, and British, who will be lumped together as guilty by association with the rioters, because of their skin color or class. I empathize with the people in your country who have to live with the insufferable attitudes of class condescension, and who have it frustrate their hopes, and dreams. I find it disturbing that some posters want to make it ALL about criminality. You take away the legitimate concerns of people who have suffered. It is kind of like TSCC saying everyone who leaves wants to sin or was offended. You dehumanize people that way. People do not riot on a whim.

> << what does it have to do with the cult? >>
>
> Again, irrelevant. Post which are off topic can be
> posted here. And often are.

Admin is in charge of what stays or goes, but I have a right to voice my opinion. Lately we have drastically cut down on the OT posts, and there have been more than a few OT posts on the riots.

> I have two autistic children, a tumor in my head,
> had a bleed in the head, numerous scars on the
> brian, am diabetic, prolapsed c6-c7 disk, have not
> had a peaceful night's sleep for many years. Often
> feel physically grim and in pain. And have other
> health problems. But *very fortunately* I feel
> absolutely no need to seek sympathy, empathy or
> support. I'm lucky, I suppose. I get on with my
> life.

Glad to hear you are not one of us weaklings! You should ghost write an Horatio Alger story. I don't hide much of my suffering, but I have also learned not to seek support on this board any more. A lot of people here have health problems, and I do too, but why do you feel the need to mention this, yet brag about how invincible you are? And on a board for recovery of all places?

> Have you ever sought counseling? Or do you have a
> close friend you can talk to?

Am I supposed to thank you for your condescension? Maybe you should seek counseling for your riot anxiety?

> For many years, the Morg stole money in the form
> of tithing, and it also stole my life and
> happiness. Once I discovered that mormon cult is
> dishonest about its history, I left. The truth set
> me free.

All those things I mentioned were in addition to stealing my tithing, and life. They took at least a fifth of my disability income, yet denied me food assistance, and did not tell me there was no need to pay, because my SS was really not increase. THEY WANTED MY MONEY THAT BAD. Some here have suffered worse. So you suffered, but what does this have to do with riots?

Posted by: Indeed ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 09:38PM

I'm with you on that one. Modern-day Brits are (largely it seems) a bunch of "bloody wankers" to use the parlance. And the BNP and EDL for all their hot air and bluster are nowhere to be seen. Where's the "defense"? (Sorry, "defence.")

Date: August 10, 2011 10:02AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14475741
hundreds come out to clean up after rioters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2011 05:18PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 11:59AM

The rioters are doing this because they CAN.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 06:04AM

Unfortunately the feral scum take a high profile and give the good ones a bad name.

I have a family with youths living next door to me and they are horrified. Also, lots of young people are out in the mornings after the night before with their families, cleaning up the streets or, as they say, taking back their communities from the thugs.

I do wish these folks would get more news coverage.

Compared to the general population, the feral dogs are the minority. They will eventually all be rounded up and dealt with, hopefully with severe penalties.

Briggy

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 10:09AM

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 11:41AM

Cleaning up after is all well and good...but where were the "good" people when the damage was being done?

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 04:25PM

Date: August 10, 2011 05:01PM

kentish Wrote:
> Cleaning up after is all well and good...but where
> were the "good" people when the damage was being
> done?

Three of them got murdered when they were standing guard over their community.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 11:55AM

It does appear to have devolved into "hey, free televisions for the taking", but that's no surprise. I do hope the authorities get a handle on things ASAP.

What I find fascinating is how social media is being used to form flash mobs to overwhelm store/police security forces. I think the internet is going to create really profound changes in society, that we only have the faintest inkling of now. We do not yet know what has been wrought.

I doubt that the first car manufacturers foresaw assembly lines, interstate highways, suburbs, oil wars, and massive worldwide CO2 emissions, all of which were made possible/necessary by automobiles.

Date: August 10, 2011 11:57AM

Posted by: Wyoming ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 11:58AM

Posted by: TX ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 02:40PM

Now folks will know why it doesn't happen in TX or Wy.

99% of the time the cops show up AFTER the incident. In the case of a riot, hurricane, etc, the cops will not show at all. Why not allow the people to defend themselves and their property?
A few dead rioters and then the others think twice. Justice - the american way - not PC, but rather effective.

Posted by: notasheeple ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 03:21PM

It is a very sad time for the brits. they can't protect themselves because their government had the foresight to take away their guns.A few well placed shots would get their attention

Posted by: MadameRadness ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 12:04PM

"Cleaning up after is all well and good...but where were the "good" people when the damage was being done?"

Probably in their homes, out of danger's way? Interfering with rioting and looting without a cop's riot gear on is a really terrible idea. One is much better off being safe and steering clear of it.

Some of the chavvy thug types in the UK are honestly very dangerous. I wouldn't want to cross them in the middle of their vandalism orgy either.

Date: August 10, 2011 12:08PM

Nobody will stand up to them, so they will do as they please.
People need to take responsibility for their own self-defense and the defense of their communities.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 01:45PM

I don't blame people for preserving their own lives first before trying to save property, especially if it's not even theirs.

Even riot police don't wade into the middle of an unruly crowd in the midst of committing criminal acts in a mindless frenzy. The police hold the line, don't get distracted off by an incident here or there, and focus on the bigger picture. That may appear to onlookers as "doing nothing" but with big crowds bent on destruction the police can't get so involved in one incident that they can't respond to other more urgent ones, even if it's holding their line to cordon off an area, etc.

It seems as though three men who were trying to protect their community were killed last night. All the details of that aren't known but obviously it's the worst outcome if it was just men seeking to protect their neighbourhood.

Especially when the police aren't available (as in major disasters, either natural or man-made) people may need to step up and protect themselves. Hopefully, that won't result in worsening of the situation or loss of their innocent lives.

I don't blame anyone for saving life and limb first. Often the most effective way to survive is to avoid rather than confront rampaging crowds.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 04:44PM

In Australia, the dingoes (wild dogs) are a worry when one is out in the wildlands. They've been known to follow people and menace them. I don't know if they've ever killed anyone.

Here in the Western U.S., coyotes are afraid of people and won't menace them. Typically, they run from people and hide.

I think the difference comes from having guns. The coyotes know their lives are in possible danger around humans, while dingoes aren't afraid.

My point is that when you disarm people, they can't defend themselves. And no, I don't belong to the NRA, but I do carry concealed. And I'm a very hard-core pacifist and animal lover. I would shoot only in self-defense or in defense of others and I carry a gun only because I camp alone a lot (I'm a woman). IF the Brits had guns, this wouldn't be happening.

Date: August 10, 2011 04:50PM

There was at least one case when a dingo killed a baby.

Date: August 10, 2011 05:31PM

The introduction of guns into the situation would have added nothing but more death. If Brits had guns there would have been firefights since presumably the rioters would have had them, too. Determined adults in sufficient numbers could most certainly have protected property. At least the Turks and the other minorities had the courage to stand up and protect their businesses and holy places.

Date: August 10, 2011 05:34PM

True, if you added guns after the fact. But if the Brits as a whole were armed, people would be more unlikely to start riots in the first place.

Date: August 10, 2011 05:34PM

Sadly, nightingale, the police didn't get involved in much at all in London. Essentially, they were a no show as a reading of the London papers makes clear.

Posted by: sparta ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 05:52PM

Try telling my friends and colleagues in blue who are in London, and have been there since this started that they aren't doing much at all.

Beleaguered, continually second-guessed and out there putting themselves on the line, and a very thin fucking line it is too.

They are doing a damn good job under the circumstances; and were most definitely NOT a no-show.

Nice to know that some people have such a low opinion of us though.

Date: August 10, 2011 05:57PM

That thin blue line between civilization and anarchy...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.