Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 11:06PM

I just got back from hanging out with a friend. One of the local BBQ joints was having a motorcycle night. We checked out the various rides, talked motorcycles, had a couple of beers, talked about other stuff. None of it was about religion. None of it was about worrying whether we were doing the right thing, setting the proper example, making progress toward eternal happiness, judging the worthiness of others, blah blah blah. It was just stuff. It was just relaxing. It was nice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 11:50PM

I find just the simple act of going to the store,and shopping with 'normal' people refreshing. I don't have to worry anymore if when I sit down my garments might show under my shorts. And tank tops are heaven! And the best thing of all is I know I am no better than the guy next to me,regardless of where he came from or if he even goes to church. I don't judge and I love it!

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 12:09AM

I've briefly considered getting a motorcycle but then imagine myself as a streak on the pavement . . . .

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 12:16AM

I want to live that way too... (sigh). Sooner or later I'll achieve it.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 08:14AM

Yes, very freeing to know you aren't "different" anymore.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 11:10AM

Mowing the lawn on Sunday morning instead of going to Sacrament meeting. Sometimes my neighbors are doing yardwork, too, and we wave to each other and smile. On occasion the very attractive young lady who recently moved into the neighborhood walks by. Now that's a spiritual experience!

Instead of attending meetings or fulfilling obligations I can sit on the front porch and watch the hummingbirds at our feeder. Boring, eh? Ordinary, eh? But you know what? I love it!

And when the hummingbirds aren't around I can read any book I want while sipping a tall, cold iced tea. And I'm not feeling the least bit guilty.

There's something good to be said about being ordinary.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 03:49PM

Here's a whole bunch of 'em, all wrapped up in one ordinary evening:

I'm 42, never married, no kids. I leave the house that I bought for myself 9 years ago to go over to my BF's house. He's 40, never married, no kids, doesn't want 'em either. Sometimes I take him out to dinner. Sometimes he cooks dinner for me. After pouring an adult beverage or two, we sit down in front of Netflix and pick a movie. We never concern ourselves with the movie rating, language, violence, sex, or subject matter. We both love horror movies and sci fi. Then we'll go to bed and I'll spend the night at his house. Often, he has asked me to wear stripper heels and slutty clothes. He really likes my toenails and fingernails painted Slut Red. I oblige all this because he finds it all so sexy. Point being, I have probably shown up in some little too-short strapless number, or a too-short skirt and a spaghetti strap tank with 6" pole dancing shoes. Sometimes, I give him little lap dances or pole dances. In the morning, I go home to feed and medicate my cat and he goes off to work (he teaches martial arts).

Just another ordinary Friday night... ;>) Had I stayed in church, none of the above would be happening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2011 03:52PM by dogzilla.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 03:55PM

Man, I HATED being a good example - hated feeling "special" and that people were watching me and judging God (via his "true church") based on my every action. Hated feeling chosen. I would not say I was judgmental, yet I just didn't feel comfortable with ordinary people - toting around all my high standards was a serious business.

Now, I can say one of the things that brings me the most joy is noticing what a cute father that guy with all the earrings and the big tattoo is - how good he is with his little son. Or noticing how kind that woman was to buy an extra cup of coffee to hand to the homeless guy outside the Starbucks. Or seeing the girl at my kids school who occasionally smells of second-hand smoke with her parents at a band concert and watch how proud they are of her flute solo. Or watching dumb reality shows like Gene Simmons and noticing all the good in them instead of seeing them through Mormon eyes. The whole world is a much more loving place, when you take off the Mormon eyes and join up with the ordinary people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2011 03:56PM by CA girl.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 04:18PM

When I take my socially challenged dog for a walk in the neighborhood he can walk right by a group of tattooed earringed kids and not bat an eye as he strolls by. Then he can go by a "normal" "nice" looking person and bark, growl and try chasing them down straining against his dog collar. Dogs "know" things.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 04:24PM

How about being free!?! I am more free than I have been probably in my entire life. My kids are raised. I have a little money in the bank FOR ONCE. I spend about 2/3s of my life with my boyfriend in Colorado and 1/3 in my home in Utah.

The freedom I feel is in I never think twice about what I do here in my mormon neighborhood and, shock of shocks, they treat me well. I've found that here where I live (I live in an exceptional group of mormons--they aren't rich--so it makes a difference)--but when my ex first came out as gay, some of his gay friends told him, "If you act like you have to apologize for being gay, people will treat you that way."

I love the freedom! Not tied down to anyone.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 04:34PM

I'm still not exactly normal i'm a goth and desabled but you know what? If i'm going to be strange i want to be strange by my own terms!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.