Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 12:50PM

Or, did anyone join because of those doctrines and then leave because the church doesn't want to talk about them anymore?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 11:42PM

Posted by: topojoejoe ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 11:52PM

I never joined because of any doctrine being a BIC. However, I have certainly left because of many doctrines that they now shoved aside as if it never happened.

Let's get it clear, I did not leave because those doctrines are being put aside, since only the distasteful things are put aside. I left because all those distasteful doctrines raised many doubts on my mind and never made sense to me, so they were the catalyst for my questioning and search. But there is no question on my mind why those things are being hidden and put aside: they are plainly wrong, embarrassing, and so damming, that my question is why more people are not leaving?

I guess some are better at mental gymnastics than others. Or of course, there is the all too familiar bind that many find themselves in, some have too much to lose if they leave, like family for one thing. Sad but true.

Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 12:43AM

Well, I'm not here to defend or laud George Patrick Lee (late excommunicated Seventy) or the Indian Student Placement Program, but at the time of Lee's death some observers (sociologists or whomever) noted what a huge blow it was, to him and to Indian members, when after SWK's death, the leaders ditched the Indians, pulled missions from Indian areas, and collapsed the supportive Indian programs at BYU.

Somewhere on the Internet, on a Navajo site, are archived the letters Lee wrote to the other GAs about this sudden change.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 01:02AM

SWK's last year or so as prophette, so I wasn't aware of all of the changes that happened with the Lamanite programs. But now that I go back and review what happened, it is like Hinckley moved in and started this quiet campaign of "Lamanites? What's that?" The Lamanite Generation disappeared from BYU. The GAs pretty much stopped talking about modern Lamanites. I imagine a lot of the Polynesian, Indian and other members "formerly known as Lamanites" have been quietly stunned at the change that has taken place.

Posted by: apikoros ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 02:14AM

You bet!

1. Eternal progression..."I don't know that we teach that. I don't know that we emphasise it."

2. Unique nature and position of 'the restored Gospel.' Now we're 'mainstream.'

3. Prophetic role of the 'Prophet.' What have any of them 'prophesied' lately?

Mind you, they were largely outweighed by the batshit-crazy 'Pearl of Great Price'; the lame old Book of Mormon; the horror story that was Church History; the dysfunction so apparent in every branch and ward in which I ever lived; but those three things were what I used as my 'anchor' within the LDS church, and I did try mightily to hold to them. However, the church didn't even bother to keep them paramount in the lives of members, so I slowly but surely drifted away. Thanks to the Hinckster, I was gone early in the new millenium.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 02:27AM

And how many of them left after the oh-so-convenient "revelation?"

SICK, SICK, SICK !!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.