Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 02:56PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52349827-78/summum-seminary-lds-religious.html.csp
Before today, I'd never heard of "Summum" (makes me think of summum bonum). Anyway, it seems like there's a good chance this "Summum" group will file a lawsuit over the property next to the Canyons school in Draper. According to the article they successfully sued the city of Pleasant Grove because the city refused to let them put a religious marker of their own next to a Ten Commandments monument.
Quote by Summum's lawyer:
“Government must be neutral when it comes to religion. … Government must not favor one religion over another,” he said. “The fact that the school district is engaging in conversations with one religious group about that land and not doing it publicly raises some red flags.”

More on Summum: founded in 1975 by "Corky Ra"; notable tenets of the faith include special mummification, like the ancient Egyptians, and a sort of vague inclusiveness and tolerance for all religious beliefs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 10, 2011 03:53PM

Interesting link, thanks 3X.

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 03:53PM

I am absolutely speechless.

"Mummification: The current costs for Mummification services are $67,000* within the continental United States."

And after you pay all that loot, you must insure that the placement of the final product will be in a mausoleum or chamber where the temperature does not go below freezing or above 72 degrees.

Yeah, that sounds eternal, all right!

Let me sign up for the insurance that will pay for all that insanity. Sounds like the next generation of cryo-entombment. The freezer guys went out of business, didn't pay the electric bill, and all those bodies awaiting resurrection via more modern medicine simply rotted.

Bleah.

~VOW

Date: August 10, 2011 03:59PM

$67,000 is a s**tload of money. I think Summum and LD$ Inc. should combine their religions; everyone gets a giant sphinx mausoleum with Joseph Smith's face carved on it: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11817

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 04:05PM

The mummification is cheaper than the cryo-crap. That was something like $125,000 if you just froze your head, $250,000 to $500,000 if you wanted the whole enchilada. The cyber urban legends say Walt Disney and Ted Williams were popsicle-ized. Not true for either.

And again, those cryo-sicles were wrapped in Mylar, suspended in tanks of liquid nitrogen, and then allowed to rot when the power was turned off.

Gimme a box, close the lid, plant me someplace, and please don't necro-baptize me.

~VOW

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.