Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: justanotherprettypiece ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 05:10PM

Has anyone else heard of this? Apparently 3 Nephites are able to live forever on Earth, as in they're alive today.

My sister mentioned it the other day and I had forgotten about it, but I can't remember what it's from.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 05:16PM

What I was always taught was they are supposedly Peter, James & John- the disciples of Jesus.

Maybe I'm on crack though.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 05:30PM

Oh, and lets not forget about Cain/Bigfoot. That makes 5 but 1 of them is being punished with immortality while the others are being rewarded with it. I'm not sure what the difference is but I just keep that question on "my shelf".

Stunted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2011 05:31PM by Stunted.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 05:25PM

Moroni sez that both he and his father Mormon “have seen them and they have administered unto us” about 400 years after Mormon Jesus made them disciples when he visited the New World.

Mormon 8:11

Posted by: snowowl ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 01:24AM

There are supposedly the three Nephites and the apostle John who are still alive on the earth. The three Nephites are three of the disciples of Jesus in the New World who desired to never die.

"LDS scripture says the three Nephite disciples and the Apostle John would live on earth and bring souls to Jesus until He comes again (B. of M. III Nephi 28; D.& C. 7). There is no evidence that they did that since LDS claim the church was "extinct" from the time of the apostles of Christ until Joseph Smith restored it in 1830 (D.H.C. Vol. I, intro. pp. 39-40). But, LDS claim the three Nephites and the Apostle John had the "priesthood" so they surely could have "restored" the church to earth again, but they did not. LDS claim that the Melchizedek priesthood was restored to earth by Peter, James and John when they conferred it on Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery in 1829. Peter and James had been dead for centuries, but they did as much as John, who according to D. & C. 7 had remained alive since Christ's earthly ministry (P. of G.P. J.S. History 1:72). LDS have no record of John doing anything else on earth until 1829, so he might as well have been dead too! Since the Apostle John and the three Nephites were to remain on earth and "bring souls to Jesus until He comes again,"how could a universal apostasy happen when they were still on earth?" The LDS teaching of a universal apostasy is discussed further in the chapter on "The Church.""
http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/mclaims6.htm

See: 3 Nephi 28:6-8

Posted by: Just thinking ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 01:58AM

Why, if all this melchisedec authority was continuously on the earth since the time of Jesus, was it necessary for J Smith to 'restore' the church and the priesthood?

How can you restore what was never lost?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.