Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 01:45PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 02:00PM

I had an AUB friend who was encouraged to get her mormon endowment before her polygamous AUB marriage.

If the sealings are the same, isn't this a strong link between the cults?

Posted by: MadameRadness ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 02:05PM

From what i've read there are lots similarities, but I don't recall seeing beds in the Nauvoo temple the last time I was there. : P

Your question has me thinking though, and makes me curious myself. Everything i've read about the FLDS temple ceremonies has been from unbacked sources.

Maybe Carolyn or Flora have commented on them somewhere?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 05:41PM

Yeah, they took the beds out of the Nauvoo temple when they sold it and left for SL.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 02:28PM

This is fun!
The LDS ceremonial garments(used in the temple only) were eliminated from use about the same time that the 2 piece garment was introduced. The ceremonial garment had a Peter Pan color, used ties up the from, went to ankles and wrists and had absolutely no crotch. I took out my endowment (no, I wasn't flashing) in the 60's and they were manditory. I was told that the ceremonial garment was dropped when it became known that fundies were bringing in their own (instead of renting them) to do endowment sessions. At that time the fundies apparently wore the ceremonials at all times. That would seem to indicate that they considered the endowment to be the same.

It is my understanding that in the early days in Utah, a sealing could be performed just about any place until the Endowment House was Built (and the Saint George Temple). In fact the last polygamous sealings were reportedly performed on a boat off Catalina Island outside the territory of the USA. I would guess that the building of the temple in Texas was an effort to be just like the Big Boys.

In a couple of threads, there has been mention of beds in various temples. I have been told that part of the Second Anointing invoved husband / wife intimacy in garments... hence no crotch. Part of that discussion indicated that at one time that part of the ordinace occured in the temple. Assuming that I got that information from a person who had been involved with the fundies, my guess it that probablyl explains the beds in the flds temple in texas.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 02:32PM

As a side note: at one time there was an article referenced by the RicK Ross Cult site that claimed that the author had researched records of work for the dead and discovered that as soon as a polygamous man died, his work was done and all his deceased wives sealed to him. There was an indication that the work was even done like that for Hitler, that is several times. With the close link of polygamy to the Saint George Temple, the records of sealings done there would be a good place to look for confirmation.

Posted by: teewan ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 03:59PM

I have no evidence, but I think it's possible the AUB members have the same endowment. They might even try to sneak in and use the Lds temples. They do have two temples of their own though. This is a statement pulled off of wikipedia regarding the AUB:

Members of the AUB do not refer to their organization as a "church" and, unlike nearly all other Mormon fundamentalist groups, regard the LDS Church as a legitimate, if wayward and diminished, divine institution. The sect does not have any ties to other Churches of the Brethren and associated groups.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 04:00PM by teewan.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.