Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: runbunny ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 07:21PM

Is there a different process for a family resignation via email than it is through letter? Should my husband and I just send separate emails and one of us include our unbaptized child in one of them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 11:58PM

Someone answer this post as I can not...I am a nevermo.

Posted by: scandalous ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 01:04AM

I'm interested in this as well. I haven't sent in my letter yet but I'm getting ready to. Is it necessary to include UNbaptized and UNblessed children as well? Do they they keep track of them too!?!

Posted by: fearguiltpromise ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 01:28AM

My husband resigned in 09' but earlier this spring I emailed Mr. Dodge and resigned. I included my name and my three children. My oldest was 20 and word came back that he would need to send in his own resignation. My middle child was 18 but still attending High School. They didn't make her send in her own resignation, but I kind of think that was because her records were still in our ward, whereas my oldest's records were probably moved to the town he was living in. My youngest, 11, was blessed as a baby yet never baptized. I included her name anyway because she was 'born in the covenant', meaning my husband and I were sealed in the temple long, long ago and therefore any children would show up on the rolls.

It seems wrong that names show up without having been baptized, but think about all those roll charts beginning with nursery on up to seven year olds. My brother's kids were never even blessed, but because he and his wife were sealed, the kids names show up on the rolls.

My eighteen year old commented the other day that the mormon church is the only one who takes roll. Mainly to see who ISN'T at church.

Back to the emailed resignation, the Stk pres called acknowledging my request and said he had a paper for me to sign. I never signed anything because I knew I didn't have to. The bp called and said he'd process the request right away. Sixty days to the date I emailed, I still hadn't heard from Mr. Dodge (plus my oldest daughter wanted her 'you are now officially a heathen' letter so she could frame it) so I sent an email refreshing it in their minds of who we are and what we did sixty days prior. I stated that according to the CHI all membership removal request will be processed sixty days after request regardless if the Stk pres or bp submit back to SLC. Two days later the beautiful white envelopes came in the mail, my oldest received his in his own mailbox the same day. However, my youngest did not receive one nor was her name included on my request. So I don't know for sure on that one. I couldn't give a rats a$$ one way or the other really.

Just glad to be out!!!

Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 01:14AM

From what I understand the church keeps track of the children even if they are unbaptized.

If they know about your children they will definitely add them to the rolls, although I don’t think that they are official members until they turn eight and are baptized.

I would add you children’s names to your resignation just to be sure.

Posted by: Mrs. (Dr.) Solar Flare ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 04:21AM

We sent in the above letter via snail mail with return-receipt requested directly to SLC and to our local bishop but to no avail. Waited several months, and nothing.

Then we emailed it to Mr. Dodge. Out in 2-3 weeks. Here is what we sent. Feel free to use it however you'd like. Good luck.

Date

Member Records Division, LDS Church
50 E North Temple Rm 1372
SLC UT 84150-5310

Re: Resignation from church membership of the Solar Flare Family.

Mr. Solar Flare, DOB long ago
Mrs. Solar Flare (Solar prior to marriage), DOB not so long ago

Children:
• Sunbeam #1, DOB
• Sunbeam #2, DOB
• Sunbeam #3, DOB
• Sunbeam #4, DOB

Current Mailing Address:
Current Street Address:
Previous Address (prior to our last move): City, State Zip

This letter is our formal resignation from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and it is effective immediately. We hereby withdraw our consent to being treated as members and being subject to church rules, policies, beliefs and discipline. Please remove our names permanently from the membership rolls of the church.

We have given this matter considerable prayer, thought and thorough research and we are not going to be dissuaded to change our minds. We understand what you consider the eternal consequences of our actions but we must do what is right for our immediate family. We are aware the church handbook says that resignation cancels the effects of baptism and confirmation, withdraws the priesthood held by a male member and revokes temple blessings.

Please respect our privacy and do not notify our extended family of our decision as we reserve the right to notify them ourselves. We expect this matter to be handled promptly, with respect and with full confidentiality.

Respectfully,
Mr. Solar Flare Mrs. Solar Flare
Little Sunbeams didn’t sign as they are all under 8 yrs old.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 04:33AM

Can you imagine what the true statistics of the church would be if they counted people as dead after say, 100?

And didn't keep counting the children of people who have resigned?

I left when my children were still minors but didn't send my letter in until they were grown. They are all still on the rolls, as far as I know.

I am very interested in finding out if they still have my son on the rolls, the one who died. I'm going to check on that and I'll let you know.

Anagrammy

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 05:50AM

I sent e-mail resignation for myself and 3 children about 3 weeks ago. Have not heard anything yet!

Posted by: runbunny ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 12:07AM

Thanks everyone. And thank you for the template Mrs. Dr. Flare.

I'm worried that they'll disregard the email for both husband and I if it comes from just my personal email. You know, since I'm 'just' a woman and not the patriarch or the priesthood holder I could just SAY husband wants to resign. We're still discussing if we'll resign together or if he'll wait until his mother passes on, though.

Oh! Here's a follow up question for 100 bonus points: If I send in my resignation and have a child before it's processed, will said child be counted as BIC/member of record? I know it SHOULD be effective as soon as it's received but I don't trust that they actually respect that.

Posted by: dude ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 12:13AM

i know a former bishop who sent a letter with all the names and member ids of the whole family. one of them was 4 or 5 so he just included the name of the boy.

it worked. everybody got out safely. no side effects of any kind.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.