Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cato789 ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 08:07PM

My niece,who is on a mission, is being asked daily about her prophet Warren Jeffs. Anyone else receiving this question?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blacksheep ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 08:19PM

wow. I didn't think about the backlash that would have on the missionaries. The good thing though, is that it might make missionaries ponder the earlier days of the church. Or they probably just say that they are a different church entirely. What is her answer?

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 12:07AM

When they ask about this prophet they should also say -"Doesn't he believe and live as JS and BY lived?" Would love to hear that answer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 12:07AM by honestone.

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 12:45AM

The first seven presidents of the LDS church practiced polygamy. The first who didn't was george Albert Smith, who practiced polygamy but not as a cohabitter - he was raised in a polygamous family by polygamous mothers and a polyg dad. Same with Joseph Fielding Smith who was church president when I was in high school.

ANyone who thinks mainstream mormons didnt practice polygamy in the 20th century doesn't know much about mainstream LDS polygamy.

Posted by: Dave in Long Beach ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 03:08PM

Just because they outlawed the practice in 1890 just means that no one officially was entering into any new marriages. All those old ones continued into at least 1940 or 1950 or so.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 01:03AM

Not that I don't feel sorry for your niece. :)

Posted by: Skeptical ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 09:41AM

that your niece and others like her don't have any information that would help them understand that Joseph Smith and Warren Jeffs were more alike than different.

I was a missionary and life long member and never knew about Smith having teenage wives and marrying other men's wives.

I suspect if more young people knew about this not only would they understand why people confuse Jeffs as the Mormon prophet, but they would probably not go on missions.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 09:54AM

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 08:49PM

from those creepy "fundamentalist polygamous sects" by citing the big important things that Monson's Mainstream Mormons do, such as operating the great Brigham Young University....

Excuse me? I'm not sure I caught that. Which university? Brigham Young? Who was that? How many wives did he have? You don't say.... So many that they're not quite sure, but well into 50+ wives. Uhmm, why did you name your big university after a leader of a fundamentalist polygamous sect? Am I missing something?

;o)

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 06:35PM

Where is she? Stateside or foreign country?

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 09:04PM

Posted by: toppenschnitzel ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 09:45AM

Posted by: Cal 77 ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 12:36PM

Well, there's nothing Warren Jeffs did that Joseph Smith didn't do!

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 09:28PM

Bwaa haa haa what a great thing to hear. (evil)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.