Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 02:16PM

Maybe this was posted earlier.

Contra Costa Times Friday August 5, 2011 Page A3

"Takalua a father of four girls, including a 3-week-old, was supervising a group of about 20 youngsters from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on a three-day camping trip, family members said.

"He took a monthlong sabbatical from his two jobs as a receiver at the Costco Wholesale and for a Sacramento-based security firm to spend time with his family and fulfil church obligations, relatives said.

"He was a good guy, a family guy. There was never a time when he would frown.

"When rescuers returned from saving the two teenagers, they lost sight of Tuakalua. Taukalua's body was recovered more than four hours later."

"Signs in the parking lot at the beach warn against swimming."

----------------------------------------------------
I know this river area (about 25 miles from my house) and it is dangerous.

Note: He was 31 years old. His full name is Silver Jubilation Tuakalua. Not a Mormon name?

Pay Lay Alol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2011 02:19PM by Jerry the Aspousetate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 02:25PM

Very Sad.

I hope no one has the cajones to spin in into a FPR.

(like that would NEVER happen).

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 02:35PM

Again we see one person being saddled with a bunch of other peoples kids and then people wonder why something went wrong! Parent need to be more involved in these activities.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 10:40PM

some of these tragedies could be prevented. I have a BIL who is an uber-active Mormon. He's been called to be a scoutmaster. I worry about him and the scouts because this BIL has a job with extremely long hours and what little time he gets off he spends hauling a dozen or so scouts out on camping trips and what not.

From what I've seen, many Mormon youth leadership positions are staffed by exhausted people who don't really have the time needed to carefully plan and implement activities and outings and usually don't have the support from parents and other volunteer staff that their "gentile" counterpart organizations. And so...you repeatedly get these scenarios where one poor exhausted adult is trying to keep a watchful eye on 10-20 rambunctious, immature kids, but just can't keep up.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 03:00PM

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 10:07PM

Do you have a link to the story? I can't find it.

Posted by: Sally ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 11:03PM

In Jerry's original post, he disclosed the young man's name as: Silver Jubilation Tuakalua (New Name).

So, what did I do? Why I went to www.google.com and typed in (you know, the New Name that was given to you at a certain place in exmormon.org today).

And low and behold, the Google God did give unto me story links beyond my wildest imagination.

Isn't it wonderful? Isn't it marvelous?

peace out...sal

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 11:32PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2011 11:33PM by AnonyMs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.