Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 08:29PM

According to BYU Professor Judd, only 6% of LDS marriages that are sealed in the temple end in divorce. It's a statistic that is used by the LDS Church to prove that temple marriages are better than civil marriages. However, Professor Judd fails to mention that he is talking about temple divorces in his statistics. The truth is that the divorce rate in Utah is higher than the national average. The Mormon church just doesn't allow temple divorces for most of their civilly divorced, formerly sealed members.

http://mormonexpression.com/blogs/2011/07/09/more-than-6-of-temple-married-mormons-get-divorced/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hotwaterblue ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 08:41PM

That statistic is mormon crockery.
The divorce rate in the church is as high as the general public and most mormons are married in the temple. Will the lies and deception ever cease.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 08:44PM

When I got divorced, I asked the Bishop how to get a temple cancellation.

His answer? "the church doesn't do that". when I asked why he said it would all be worked out in the eternities.

So, I am not counted as one of their 6%.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 08:48PM

I call BS on that, as Mormons just get a civil divorce since temple cancellations are rarely granted. TBM men are technically practicing polygamy as they get to be "sealed" to another woman if they have a civil divorce that's final. They could have multiple divorces, yet be "sealed" to their ex-wives.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 09:10PM

Another outright lie. I am sealed to my Mormon husband still and so is his current wife. Fortunately I have "forgotten" my new name and will only give them the middle finger instead of the "sure sign of the nail."

What that statistic says is that only 6% of people sealed in the temple 1) remain worthy, and 2) care to give temple marriage another try.

A negative instead of a positive.

Anagrammy

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 09:13PM

This statistic is so full of BS

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 09:15PM

A sister divorced her adulterous husband. Another sister divorced her second husband because he was a weenie (the first one died). The wife of my late brother divorced her second husband who was stealing from her bank account. (Such fine, upstanding Latter-day Saints, those exes were.)

Oh, but I divorced, so that means the apostate siblings have a 100% divorce rate.

Posted by: Abigail ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 09:25PM

I know a few temple marriages that should be ended but they would rather live unhappy lives now because they think they're marriage is eternal and they will be happy for eternity.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 11:37PM

My parents never acted like they could much stand each other. My mom gets so disgusted with my dad and in her older years has never hesitated to show it. But somehow they will just be so thrilled to be with each other in the next life? Whatever.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 09:21AM

...how we are the same person in the resurrection -- same intelligence, same personality, same flaws.

But everyone hopes for the fairytale ending, where everything is perfect and nothing hurts. So why shouldn't that include God changing that spouse you can barely resist strangling to one who's absolutely fantastic in every way -- even in ways you never knew existed. Of course, that might also involve God changing YOU from your awful self into Mr./Mrs. Wonderful. They probably hadn't considered they might be the bad one in the relationship.

Like NormaRae's mother, mine spent her last days ranting against her eternal companion. Maybe she was hoping he would commit some terrible sin that would disqualify him for the celestial kingdom and she'd get reassigned to the ideal husband.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2011 09:22AM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 10:42AM

See, that's the thing...when my bishop said it would all be worked out in the eternities, I asked him point blank " So, my ex will be turned into a straight man then?" He was absolutely taken back when I said that and had no answer. It was at that moment that I knew he had nothing that could help me and I told him I would not be back to "counsel" with him about anything, ever. (I think he was actually relieved).

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 12:12AM

Some of my TBM friends can't stand when their DH is home for more than a few days off work. I always think, well you're the one that wants to spend eternity with him.

Posted by: rgrraymond ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 02:12AM

Professor Judd and were in the same mission. We were in the same district. He later became a big wig in the mission office. He was a really nice guy back then. I do not know about now.

Date: August 14, 2011 08:52AM

He still seems to be a nice guy, though it seems a little strange to me that everyone calls him "President Judd" just because he used to be the stake president. Not sure if that's normal in Utah or not. He seems to have some upper-level connections in the church.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 09:45AM

Nice guy or not, he is apparently willing to use statistics to mislead people into believing something that is just not true. He is a liar according to Gospel Principles manual:

We can also intentionally deceive others by a gesture or a look, by silence, or by telling only part of the truth. Whenever we lead people in any way to believe something that is not true, we are not being honest.

The Lord is not pleased with such dishonesty, and we will have to account for our lies. Satan would have us believe it is all right to lie. He says, “Yea, lie a little; … there is no harm in this” (2 Nephi 28:8). Satan encourages us to justify our lies to ourselves. Honest people will recognize Satan’s temptations and will speak the whole truth, even if it seems to be to their disadvantage.

Gospel Doctrine Manuel Chapter 31: Honesty

http://lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-31-honesty?lang=eng

More lying for the lard.

Date: August 14, 2011 09:57AM

God Himself admits that He intentionally misleads people into believing something that is not true, speaking directly to Joseph Smith in D&C 19: (it can't be a mistranslation because it was a direct revelation from God):

10) For, behold, the mystery of godliness, how great is it! For, behold, I am endless, and the punishment which is given from my hand is endless punishment, for Endless is my name. Wherefore-
11) Eternal punishment is God's punishment.
12) Endless punishment is God's punishment.

Looking back at verses 6-7:
6) Nevertheless, it is not written that there shall be no end to this torment, but it is written endless torment.
7) Again, it is written eternal damnation; wherefore it is more express than other scriptures, that it might work upon the hearts of the children of men, altogether for my name's glory.

There it is, in canonized scripture, the word of the Lord explaining why he makes hell sound worse than it really is, to scare people into being good. For his name's glory, of course. Don't you love it?

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 08:47AM

Which is just pure BS.
A 6% temple divorce rate really only counts women who want to remarry in the temple.
Men don't have to get a temple divorce to remarry in the temple, or they didn't used to. My parents divorced almost thirty years ago and never got a temple divorce. To this day they are "sealed" which is just an insult to me. Dad remarried in the temple. So funny, my parents have contributed two temple marriages to the pot and zero temple divorces, even more ironic.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 09:10AM

Posted by: jf ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 09:29AM

It still annoys me that I am "counted" as being sealed to my ex, who screwed about 8 different men during our marriage - only 3 before I filed for divorce, which still makes me an idiot. Bishop and stake president knew this and still asked me to reconcile with her.

As far as the 6% statistic, the church holds onto this like the first vision and the book of mormon. If they hammer it enough times, people will believe it. And dammit if temple marriages don't have a better success rate, then the whole system falls apart. Temple marriages must work better, right? Because if two faithful, temple-worthy people get sealed then the Lord will look after them and help them succeed.

Posted by: AltaRica ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 10:01AM

Seeing the absurdity of so many temple sealing situations is one thing that has helped me start the process of recovering from Mormonism.

So technically, if my dad, his ex-wife (my mom), and my dad's new wife "keep their temple covenants," then everything will "work out" and we'll all be sealed together in the eternities as a family with my dad in a polygamous relationship. BULL SHIT. That is complete and utter bull shit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.