Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 04:00AM

magic in mormonism: at age 8, kids are suddenly accountable for their "sins". furthermore, at age 8 they are suddenly mature enough to make a life-long (baptismal) commitment to a lifestyle of whose religious doctrine/history they understand probably 0.0001% of.

yesterday my 2 year old deliberately lied ("he took it from me pappa") to get me to give him a toy my 5 year old had, that he wanted. =)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2011 04:23AM by Nick Humphrey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 10:24AM

I've always felt the whole "age of accountability" thing is a joke. I think it would be hilarious for someone in Utah to start a movement to have anyone 8 years old or older who commits a crime be charged as an adult. Age of accountability and all ...

I'd enjoy listening to all the back pedaling!

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 11:03AM

Don't give them any ideas. This is Utah, aka Glenbeckistan.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 10:27AM

Yes, 8 year olds are capable of understanding and making a life-long decision to be baptised.

But a 28 or 88 year old is not sufficiently mature to make the decision to resign.

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 11:01AM

"But a 28 or 88 year old is not sufficiently mature to make the decision to resign."

Posted by: Deco ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 10:27AM

That should be old enough for Warren Jeffs or Joe Smith.

Posted by: mobegone ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 11:00AM

Growing up in the Morg, I thought more than once about how I wish I could have just died before I turned 8. Instant Celestial Kingdom, no worries about screwing it all up by eating a coffee flavored jelly bean, and being a ministering angel forever....

Posted by: blacksheep ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 09:28PM

I used to eat coffee candies at my no mo friend's house as a kid. They were freaking delicious and I was sure I was sinning.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 07:19PM

Yeah, 8 years old is a load of shit for baptism age. Even the Amish don't let their children get baptized until they are 18 or older and have at least taken a look outside the community. They use 8 for ease of brainwashing, because really, who is going to say no at 8? No one. You do what your parents and other family members tell you to do. I for one don't remember ever being asked, I was told I was going to be baptized at 8.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 07:22PM

That's why, when I got the invitation to attend my grandson's baptism a while back, I just couldn't be party to such a thing. I was disheartened when it said "......has "chosen" to be baptized.
GAG

Posted by: Ali ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 07:42PM

laughing about how the Catholics baptized babies. very much a 'we are so much better because kids at 8 can think for themselves! I mean, how can a little baby be accountable like an 8 year old in second grade?'
seriously, my whole class was mocking another religion for about an hour. it was disgusting.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 08:25PM

At eight, I was dunked in a tank of chlorinated water. My father told me to allow myself to be completely submerged. I had no say in it; it wasn't by choice. No more Cheerios during fast meetings. What kind of trade off is that? I got hosed.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 09:10PM

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: August 14, 2011 09:23PM

I know why I got baptised at that age. Two reaons one was everyone did it and if I didnt everyone would assume it was because I was stupid. I didnt want to be stupid. And the second was my brother leaveing was casueing so much trouble I didnt want to be responsable for anymore yelling seeing as everyone was telling me it was my job to sort it and deal with it and stop everyone.

I think baptisum at that age is just something that should never be done and no one should be in a relegion and put down as a member till they know all the rules of that relegion. How many kids at 8 do you know that know what oral is or why the church dosent like anyone doing it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2011 09:25PM by blindmag.

Posted by: machadaynu ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 05:08PM

I only agreed to the bapitism at that age because of the after-party we would get afterwards.

And hello everyone! Long time lurker here :)

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 09:40PM

Posted by: milamber ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 05:24PM

My daughter's sunday school teacher would have pizza and ice cream parties at her house for the kids that were baptized. All of the kids that hadn't been baptized, yet, were not only not invited, but told that they couldn't go to them unless they got baptized. The teacher would talk to the baptized kids in class about how much fun they had at these parties and it really made the kids that were left out feel like shit.

That helped motivate my daughter into making that so called choice. Can you say, "manipulation"?

Posted by: OlMan ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 05:42PM

When you were baptized at age 8, did you know what you were doing?

So far, 100% have said no.

Begging the question, if a person does a ritual and doesn't understand it, did it do any good?

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 09:22PM

It frustrates me how Mormons act all high and mighty because they don't baptize infants.

Age 8 is no different in my mind. They have no idea what they are doing or any choice in the matter.

Posted by: kdog ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 09:32PM

I remember telling my mom I didn't want to get baptized, only because I was completely and utterly TERRIFIED of water, and she told me, "well, you don't have to if you don't want to." And even at that young age I remember thinking "YEAH RIGHT!!! Like I'm getting a choice here?"

But I did and came out of the water balling because of the terrifying experience, and I also remember people laughing and thinking they were laughing at me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.