Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 10:28AM

The Stake President was attending priesthood the other day, and said that we should use the ward cleaning as a reactivation tool.

He said that he was assigned to clean his ward house recently, and so he called on some of the less actives...and they actually showed up to help clean, and showed up to Church on Sunday too!

I personally think the whole janitorial thing is offensive myself, and that a lot of good people have been put out of work because of the policy. I wonder what he actually said to get them to come?

"An angel with a flaming sword will kill me if you don't come and help scrub the toilets.."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 10:36AM

How pathetic that is

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 10:42AM

That's about the only way that I can see that you could get inactives to clean toilets. That, or he has photos to blackmail them, or somehow threatened their jobs.... "You know Brother Inactive, many members of the Ward in the past have given you business in doing our taxes and your wife in teaching music to our children, but one word from me and you'll never get another dime from any member of this ward.....say, we have some toilets that need cleaning at the Ward house. Would you be interested in helping clean them?"

Primus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I
> wonder what he actually said to get them to come?
>
> "An angel with a flaming sword will kill me if you
> don't come and help scrub the toilets.."

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 10:57AM

Reactivating members by having them scrub some toilets?! Give me a break. How sad if that is what it is coming to.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 11:00AM

That might work for a stake president, but I doubt it would work for an average ward member. I agree with Scarecrowfromoz that the inactives may have just obliged him in order to keep the peace.

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 11:38AM

Another reason to not answer your phone, return messages or open your door to any mormons...

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 11:47AM

I organize a basement cleaning time and invite them all over. I say come on over, everybody! and after that we can do my closets!

It works great! Every time!

In fact, do YOU want to come over this Saturday???? We have to tear out some old carpet! Hey, wait, come back! It'll be fuuunn!

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 12:57PM

I you let me ***THROW***THINGS***AWAY*** I'll show up.

I'm pretty tired of being asked to help people who just want you to help them shift their crap from one side of the room to the other.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 01:50PM

why move junk from point A to point B b/c you can't let go of stuff you'll never use again.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 11:56AM

Posted by: worldwatcher ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 11:59AM

"He said that he was assigned to clean his ward house recently, and so he called on some of the less actives...and they actually showed up to help clean, and showed up to Church on Sunday too"

I think he's lying.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 12:14PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 12:28PM

If that SP did not actually outright lie about the inactives showing up to clean (entirely possible,) he certainly threatened or used a similar nefarious approach to get them to do it.

*****Inactives are NOT reactivated by being asked to do janitorial work!*****

By implying that an invitation to serve as a janitor is a successful reactivation tool, the SP merely pressures members into doing something humiliating for them, irritating to the inactives they approach, and a certain failure for all concerned.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 12:36PM

My first thought is that this Stake President is full of crap. If the Episcopal church called me and asked me to clean their toilets, I'd just laugh and hang up. And I LIKE the Episcopal church. I was baptized Episcopalian as a baby, have only attended a handful of times in the past 10 years and while I consider myself Episcopalian now, I'm certainly "inactive". So I'd never clean their toilets, much less feel like it was a friendshipping move on their part to ask me to clean their building.

Even less so with Mormons, who I don't like.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 03:12PM

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 12:46PM

This SP is full of BS. It used to be my job to make phone calls to get people to come clean the building. The active members wouldn't show up half the time.

Posted by: notion ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 01:46PM

so this SP is having someone else doing his cleaning duty? how convenient ...

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 03:19PM

I call BS on this too. If you can barely get enough actives willing to humiliate and degrade themselves to perform slave labor, you sure as hell aren't going to get someone who's been gone for years with good reason to come crawling back literally on their hands and knees to scrub toilets. The whole thing is sickening, disgusting, offensive and insulting to the nth degree. This is one of those things that should be publicized and biting the cult in the ass big time.

Posted by: freeasabird ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 11:29PM

They were cursing his name while scrubbing the shitter!

No way, if my "ward" even asked me to come clean the church I'd tell them where they can stick their mop!

Misfit: I remember it being almost impossible to get members to come clean too, it was always the same folks!

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 11:51PM

That is too damn funny. The same people who don't feel like sitting in wooden pews while a bore speaks would happily scrub filthy porcelain?

I was BIC a half a century ago and I still don't get it.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 12:03AM

The Mormon church's latest, anti-satan super-weapon:

http://www.faqs.org/photo-dict/photofiles/original/8972/12226toilet_brush.jpg

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 01:15AM

Instead of showing up with a Book of Mormon, they should bring rubber gloves and toilet brushes and invite people to help clean!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 05:25AM

There is a great word in the English language for exactly this kind of circumstance. It's a word that is particularly under-utilised within Mormonism. It's only a short word and it will be familiar to everybody.

NO

NO, NO, No,

Thanks Mr Stake President but NO, I won't be coming along.

Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 09:21AM

...this SP told the "less actives" that there was a big, cool, fun costume party at the ward and they were invited. And it would be really funny if they showed up dressed like a janitor and brought a lot of cleaning supplies.

So they all show up and we know what happened. The reason they all showed up at church on Sunday was to let the air out of the tires of SP's car.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 09:54AM

I'm thinking this statement by the SP doesn't ring true. It reminds me of "lying for the Lard".

"so he called on some of the less actives...and they actually showed up to help clean, and showed up to Church on Sunday too!"

I remember 'less actives'. I can't imagine they would come to church to clean, let alone come on a Sunday in their Sunday best to be bored to death.

Doesn't make sense. Reminds me of 'faith promoting rumors'.

Letting air out of President Windbags tires is not a bad idea!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.