Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 04:37PM

And they are still against birth control, equality of women, gay rights, etc.

Remember the joke about how many psychologists it takes to change a light bulb? Only one, but the bulb has to want to change!

I don't get that the morg wants to change, even if gnats like us are buzzing around it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 04:51PM

Absolutely not, WCG, the change is already underway....send some of that popcorn down this way, Bignomo...

The tipping point I predicted a while ago is the presidential election. The Mormons have started yet another public relations campaign to "get out the facts". Yet the statistics show (I posted them on another thread) that Mormon approval rating has gone down as popularity of computers and access to the internet goes up.

Because the GA's read their own press clippings, they keep hammering on the idea that the 5:1 disapproval rating is caused by lack of information when the truth is that it's caused by getting accurate information.

SOOOO... these are the changes I see coming:

*Book of Mormon-- inspired by the gift and power of God to Joseph Smith who saw brilliant visual images, much brighter than you or I, and dictated these to a faithful scribe. The plates, the stone, the hat, all were like rosaries and crosses, just inspirations to set the sacred mood for the bringing forth of the most accurate book, regardless of historicity. It's like the parables of Jesus.

*Doctrine and Covenants-- inaccurately recorded, obsolete, has inspirational value as a record of man's evolution from milk to meat. Nowadays we have the meat, the simple truth of the Book of Mormon. Members are free to read the D&C; however, it is not fundamental to our religion like the Book of Mormon is.

*Pearl of Great Price-- in olden times, believed by some to be a translation; however, an equal number of members believe it to be inspired by the parchment "Book of Breathings", much like the Book of Mormon and the Bible were produced.

*Mormon Doctrine, Miracle of Foregiveness, Marvelous Work and Wonder. A revealing look into the past and a testament to the transformational power of modern revelation as it applies to our time.

*Joseph Smith, a flawed man whom God used to demonstrate again our own acceptability despite our weaknesses. Lionized in olden times but respected now for his important role rather than his personality. Mormonism is not a cult of personality.

*Jesus Christ, the literal son of God made man, whose origin has been the source of speculation from time immemorial. We Mormons are not afraid to accept mystery and all that the spiritual mysteries encompass will be ours after our journey of faith here on earth is finished. Those who seek a sign will find themselves lost in the wilderness while the people of faith march proudly to their reward.

*Godhood for Man. We have always taught as Jesus taught that the goal of life was to become like god. Some have twisted our words in the past, but we forgive them and invite them to the Lord's supper, to join with us and our brothers and sisters of every color as we celebrate the Savior, even the salvation of mankind, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 04:57PM

JS was smart enough to not claim his new revelations were the final, unchangeable word from God. I mean, otherwise he would have been stuck with the BoM's condemnation of polygamy. So the door is wide open for more doctrinal change. It's just a matter of how skillfully the brethren can mask it as non-change.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 06:19PM

At the very least, they need to loosen up on the BoM and 1st Vision as a test of faithful membership. As it is now, if you don't believe and proclaim these proveable falsehoods then you can not be a member in good standing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.