Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rumor ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 10:53PM

from my TBM parents, who know someone in the MTC administration. Rumor is that TSCC may change the entry age for male missionary's from 19 to 18.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 10:57PM

...too many 18 1/2 -yr-old YM are escaping the church before being caught in the 19-year-old mission net?

Posted by: matilda ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 11:19PM

They will be totally brainwashed before they can shave. Always no problems with that nasty M habit. They will be married by. 20 with six kids before 30. God help them the church wont.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 01:38AM

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2011 03:47PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 10:59PM

They say you've got a broken heart. :D

Posted by: xMo ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 12:48AM

Lol ... I thought of that song too.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 11:12PM

I think most young men (at least in the U.S.) turn 18 when they are still in high school. Making such a change could cause a lot of problems ... but who knows? The Mormon church has done a lot more unusual things than this in the past!

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 10:25PM

Seems like that would be the point. No waiting for a few months to turn 19 means less chance to ask questions or find alternatives.

Posted by: blacksheep ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 11:14PM

Great. They will be getting married younger now. Lol

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 15, 2011 11:35PM

It might teach them to think.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 01:46AM

My thoughts exactly. No sense in letting them have a year of freedom...

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 12:08AM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 12:27AM

That the cia and the military are jumping through that window, and if you have doubts, well isn't saying "I MUST SERVE MY COUNTRY AT WAR" a lot better than a hang-wringing and confessing, "I don't actually be-LIEVE any more."

ANagrammy

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 01:03AM

OK, I know someone who works in the COB and would be in a position to know. I'll try to get DH to give him a call because this guy would know for sure - if he's allowed to tell and not "lie for the Lord."

The problem is, some kids like my nephew, turn 18 during the beginning of their senior year in high school. Nephew had to repeat kindergarten. He turns 18 at the end of September of his senior year. Leaving when you are 18 would take a lot of kids straight from graduation - some may even go for early graduation - and straight from their parents house to the mission field without even one year on their own to manage their money, learn independence, be away from family and manage on their own etc. Sounds like a way to increase the emotional problems of missionaries enormously. They are already having a problem with kids giving up their texting and FB and immediate connectiveness with family and friends but to increase the problem by taking them straight from family to the traumas and trials of a mission? That's nuts.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 11:18AM

...I imagine it would be set up so guys are ELIGIBLE to go on missions after they turn 18, not that they'd need to drop everything and go the moment they turn 18. After all, they don't drag 19-year-olds out of the middle of a semester.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 01:16AM

Let's face it, a Mormon mission is simply a form of "hazing." It takes an acolyte and makes him an elders quorum member. Whatever his age, he is at great peril for mind control tactics that have been developed for over a century.

Posted by: StiffNekid ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 01:28AM

They could have had me at 18. They did get me to go to BYU for a year. I had too much time to think in that year and then.....they lost me.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 02:07AM

look like they are 16, so I guess the 18 year olds will look 15. LOL

I agree, they must be losing 'em by the boatloads when they get that freshman year of freedom.

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 05:02PM

I heard they were going to lower the age to 14, because that's when they know it all and their mothers won't cry to see them leave.

:)

It's a joke, son. A joke, I say.
Boy's as sharp as a bowling ball.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 07:00PM

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 06:55PM

I think its so theres no gap years or silly stuff like that. Also lots of college and uni corses arnt just the one year anymore so the afterlife insureance salesmen are chooseing to do uni instead.

It also means when a mishi gets into college they are all ready for being on the meat market.

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 07:08PM

That's going to make college that isn't BYU a tough sell. Graduate from HS, leave for a mission, come back THEN apply for college while what, selling house alarms or Amway for a year in between?

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 07:52PM

The oldest got back from his mission last year and went to BYU. He failed all his classes the 1st semester. He ended up dropping out and trying to sell alarm systems back east. He's scheduled to go back to BYU this fall. He is 22 years old with nothing to show but a HS diploma.

Oh, he also has PTSD from being in a mission in S. America where he was in terrible neighborhoods and witnessed murders.

My oldest son turns 18 in April and if they try to get him to go on a mission with no college under his belt, I will turn real ugly, real fast!

Posted by: kingog ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 09:19PM

i guess 19 isn't immature enough.

Posted by: ldscam ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 01:28AM

I had a McConkie family in my stake. Grandson of some legand or something I know nothing about. Anyway, Mr. Samuel must have been a teenager when I first met him at a Youth Conference dance a few years back. The girls were all over him although I don't know why, he was a total dick.

Moving on, rumor had it that because of his background he would be lucky enough to serve a mission at age 18. Didn't really follow the story or know if he is on a mission, but I know it isn't impossible or unheard of for royal blood.

Maybe they tested some lab rats that set a good example so they are considering moving a year earlier?

Will be very interesting to tap into the mormon community if this does come to pass.

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 11:00AM

ldscam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Moving on, rumor had it that because of his
> background he would be lucky enough to serve a
> mission at age 18. Didn't really follow the story
> or know if he is on a mission, but I know it isn't
> impossible or unheard of for royal blood.

If your dad is a mission president when you turn 18, you go straight on a mission, presumably because it would be a financial burden to go to college. I've known several guys that served at 18 because poppy was a currently serving mission president.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 06:08AM

Makes sense. Get'em straight from home, before they can "develop any bad habits."

We all know the number of missionaries are dwindling--and it is NOT because the church "raised the bar." This is more proof. The 18-year-olds will bring up the numbers.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 11:20AM

forestpal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> before they can "develop any bad habits."

Like thinking for themselves.

Posted by: chiefluma ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 06:57AM

This is the biggest cult I have ever seen, all brain washing too!

Posted by: jebus ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 11:57AM

No not 18. I heard they were going to start calling them at 17. Because at 17 they still "know everything" and because mothers of 17 year old boys won't miss them.

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 03:23PM

Turns out at 19 I started to think for myself and enjoy the more beautiful things about life with girls.

If I had headed straight out after high school I would have avoided turning on my brain and learning to live.

Anubis

Posted by: Toy Soldier ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 04:57PM

Here in the UK (all my posts seem to start like that recently!), the Area President has given permission for 18 year olds to be called on missions.

This is due to the situation that Sixth form college (for US, read High School) finishes at 18, prior to going to University.

As I was one of the oldest in the school year (having a early September birthday), I had my 19th birthday in the MTC (and 20th and 21st on my mission!)

But if (big if!) my son, whose birthday is in June, went on a Mission when he was 19, he would have to wait a whole extra year (on top of the 24 months) before starting University.

I have also been told that it is not well advertised, and this is something that still needs discussions and agreements between ward and stake leaders etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.