Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 03:49AM

"hypnotic triplets" was coined by my exmo friend and professor of philosophy, Alex, e.g.:
"Lives were touched, hearts were warmed, (pause, change pitch and tempo) tears were shed."

lol, so true =)

would be awesome if someone made a compilation of examples of this from general conference talks =)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2011 03:54AM by Nick Humphrey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 03:59AM

Mormons are So Used to it... they prolly don't notice!

Date: August 16, 2011 04:13AM

i remember even as a TBM it always bugged the hell out of me how the GA's spoke and prayed in GC and i would always refer to something on a truman madsen tape i had about how joseph smith said that "god" prefers praying in a natural voice, comparing it to how this one minister was speaking to joseph once in a fire-and-damnation type voice and truman said that joseph said "you wanna wrestle?"

that always made me laugh =) good ole joe =) but seriously, most GA's have always bugged me with the way they talk. i remember at least at his end that david b haight talked in a normal way, which i liked (and he didnt use a teleprompter--i also respected that--and that was another thing that bugged me--teleprompter? these are "apostles" for god's sake!)

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 09:38AM

Warren Jeffs sounds exactly like the GAs, too. Creepy.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 10:39AM

I explained that that is what passes for spiritual in Mormondom.

I always thought it was deliberate, so that a Mormon preacher or Mormon choir would never, ever be mistaken for black Baptists.

Imagine a GA delivering the "I Have a Dream" speech. Aaack!

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 11:13AM

What's the treatment? Ugh.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 12:01PM

Date: October 25, 2011 04:21AM

"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 12:10PM

I wonder how many of the hypnotic and choked up rhetorical moves go back to Smith and how many of the teary, emotional, sentimental moves that I associate most with Mormonism are owing to the development and refinement of a "peculiar" culture and history.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 12:20PM

...the charismatic preachers of his day, particularly the tent revival preachers of the Second Great Awakening. Remember, Protestant preachers got hired by congregations, who wanted the most inspirational preachers they could find. Your average LDS bishop would never get hired, unless there was a congregation of insomniacs who needed to be put to sleep.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 12:37PM

I have seen pictures, drawings, renderings of people swooning and flailing about during a typical camp revival meeting circa 1820-something. The BOM supports some of this to the extent that it owes its rhetoric and emotionalism to the same revival meetings (see Grant Palmer).

Now General Conference is a much more restrained affair than a camp revival meeting or a present day Pentacostal revival meeting. It is as though uptight Puritanism and money-loving Calvinism got the upper hand in the church, especially after Smith (seems like an understatement). Trembling lips, efforts at restraining tears, apologies for getting emotional are not uncommon in Mormon talks. And yet there it is: the effort to deny or restrain emotion works to show the audience just how sincere the speaker is in displaying the presumably potent and therefore deep (one gags to say it: "spiritual") emotion.

The confusion of emotionalism with spiritualism is thoroughly marbled into Mormonism and to me marks it as a superficial and under-developed faith, which is what one expects from a religion ran by businessmen and lawyers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2011 12:40PM by derrida.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 05:42AM

I hate the way they use the passive tense, to give their verbs more of a miraculous, coming-from-heaven, origin.

They would never say, "The leader was influential enough to touch our lives, he emotionally manipulated us, he played on our sympathies.

Tonight at Nordstroms, my eyes were opened, my cup was filled...and money was given.

What a weird way of talking. "Hypnotic triplets, Ha-ha-ha! My funny-bone was touched.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 05:48AM

''At Conference, aloft was held a book, a reputation was lost.........forever...*sob*

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 06:15AM

I can imagine some that were thought by certain General Authorities, even if they were not physically uttered...

Gordon B. Hinckley:

Historical documents were found, people were blown up...

...discernment was lacking.

James Faust:

Dental work was extracted, donations were made...

...an Apostle's life was enriched.

Thomas S. Monson:

A story was told, eyes moistened with tears...

...fraudulent testimonies were born.

Boyd K. Packer:

Little factories were played with, truths became unuseful...

...excommunications were called for.

Paul H. Dunn:

Amazing stories were recounted, bosoms burned with newborn testimonies...

...lies were revealed by a persistent punk who should have been dealt with by the Danites.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.