Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 08:55PM

I developed a peculiar habit on my mission. We used to take about an hour for dinner. I would use the first half hour to eat, and then I would spend about 15-20 minutes sitting in a certain chair listening to a tape I had of Johann Strauss's Viennese Waltzes while slowly savoring chocolate mousse that came in these little yogurt-like containers at the grocery store. It was an important part of my day where I would mentally escape from the insanity of Mormon missionary service. I would take little spoonfuls of chocolate mousse, close my eyes and even forget where I was. My companions used to kiddingly give me a hard time about it, calling it an "unholy and impure practice." lol

In one area, I spent four months with the same companion, and I used to do this every day at the same time, same music, same chocolate mousse, same chair. It used to drive my companion nuts. After a couple months of this, he said "There is something sensual about that music." I said, "Of course there is. That's why I listen to it." He continued. "Well, I don't think it exactly invites the Spirit. It's very frivolous music and not really appropriate for the work." Our mission rules said we were only allowed to listen to classical music 100 years old or older or Mormon Tabernacle Choir or Mormon Youth Symphony. Johann Strauss's Viennese Waltzes clearly fell within the mission rules.

Then he started telling me it was a "waste of time," and he would pack his bag and sit by the door making a big show of waiting for me to finish. He was the junior companion. I was the senior companion and district leader, and I was a bit of a stickler for rules anyway. It was my only indulgence, and I wasn't going to put up with his crap. So, I would ignore him and make him sit there until the last moment of our dinner hour before I would get up to go. Then I'd say "Are you ready?" just to piss him off.

Then he began to lecture me about how he was tired of having to wait for me, and how he could not feel the Spirit when I was listening to that music. I suggested that make better use of his time than sitting by the door, perhaps by praying or reading the scriptures or something so he could feel the Spirit of God as manifested through the music of Johann Strauss. Finally, I said that he was being a control freak and that I wasn't going to stop my music time and that he could get used to it. I offered to listen to it on headphones, and he said that then he couldn't be sure I wasn't listening to "apostate" music. I said "Suit yourself."

He told our mission president in an interview about it, and president said "Oh! I love Johann Strauss's Viennese Waltzes!" and that was the end of it.

I picked up a copy of Karajan's Waltzes & Polkas by Johann Strauss today, and I was thinking about that experience. Sometimes I look back on the experiences I had in Mormonism, and it's as if I was living on another planet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: D the non-religious ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 09:12PM

Your story has made my day. Many times I made the junior companion wait because I was involved in my own self-indulgence. Granted, I am a heavymetal fan, however I absolutely enjoy Rachmoninof ( my bad for the spelling).

I had a ward mission leader tell me that his music was not inviting the spirit. I replied with, " You sir, have no taste in anything." He made me walk back to the apartment, still had my headphones on.

Date: November 04, 2010 09:21PM

Some of his music could be compared to heavy metal in his time, I think. Can you believe the cheek of people not loving our music? Sheesh. lol

I guess I was being a bit of a prick, but honestly if he didn't like it he could have just told me so and we could have worked something out instead of pulling the God card.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 09:27PM

Wow, I completely butchered his name. That is what I get for being slighlty bent and not looking at my play list.

No, kidding people not liking our music, hahaha. Yes, his music was different, but provoking and chalk full of dark pleasures.

Date: November 04, 2010 09:37PM

Yes, Rachmaninov is very satisfying. I should have listened to him on my mission, but it wasn't 100 years old. Sigh.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 10:52PM

Nothing sacred or spiritual about this? It's actually one of the pieces I meditate to.

http://video.filestube.com/watch,f27648d3da8cc13403e9/Rachmaninov-Cello-Piano-Sonata-in-Gm-III-Andante.html

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 09:33PM

when it arrived on the scene. It took some time before people were comfortable with more than holding hands in a dance.

That sounds like a lovely way to cope. Good for you.

Posted by: Res Ipsa Loquitur ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 09:38PM

I remember the whole mission convening at the stake center for General Conference, and during Music and the Spoken Word, the MoTab started singing a piece by John Rutter. Our mission had the rule it had to be either 100 years old or hymns or MoTab. Just as a joke, I went to the MP and said, totally straight-faced "President, I'm not sure how comfortable I am having the whole mission listening to music by a contemporary composer like John Rutter. I think it will drive the Spirit away." After conference, MP pulled me aside and thanked me sincerely for bringing the problem to his attention and for my concern for everyone's spiritual well-being. Then he said that he very nearly had the missionaries leave the chapel during the MoTab's performance, but then he remembered that MoTab music was on the "approved" list, so he was very relieved not to have to kick everyone out. Pedantic ass.

Date: November 04, 2010 10:07PM

And yet, yeah. Very believable. :(

Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 10:47PM

That's fucking hysterical on a couple of different levels. However did you keep a straight face?

Posted by: Res Ipsa Loquitur ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 10:57PM

What can I say? I'm a cheeky bastard. It was funnier to me that he didn't get it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 09:52PM

So glad the mission didn't totally kill your spunk and you made it here.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 09:59PM

I never had to endure a mission, or getting married to some Peter.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 10:05PM

Have you learned to make chocolate mousse? PRIORITIES SON!

Date: November 04, 2010 10:19PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.