Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: snb ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 11:24PM

This is a continuation of a fun discussion we were all having about Huntsman, who countered questions about his Mormon faith by stating that there are many grey areas in how a person might perceive their Mormon faith.

This isn't a direct quote, but it is close enough.

Our very own resident Gorspel Dacktrin teacher commented on how binary Mormonism is. That is absolutely the truth. Mormonism, by its very own doctrine is either incredibly true or incredibly false. Either Joseph Smith was a prophet, or he wasn't, blah blah blah, etc. We've heard and loathed Mormon doctrine plenty, so I don't need to get into details :)

Ever since Romney made a bid for the Rep nomination, a lot of talk has been had about how a Mormon, who believes in prophets and gave death oaths in the temple to give all of their time and effort (and potentially, their presidencies) to the church leadership, should never be president. The situation would be dire indeed if Romney gained the public's trust only to suddenly switch over to his temple oaths and give control of the nation to Tommy Suzaphone Monson. Quite literally, it would be the end of our nation and the only people who can save us are the extreme right wing Christians who also happen to be saavy against the Mormon PR machine.

As you can tell, it is hard for me to paraphrase that position without a bit of sarcasm involved. Please excuse me for that.

Basically, then, in light of the craziness that Mormonism really is, Huntsman's statement that there could be differing paths in how one approaches Mormonism is most likely viewed as either extremely naive or possibly an outright lie.

Here is the problem that I have with this point of view:

Mormonism is crazy, it is hurtful, it destroys lives, it makes people dishonest and gives people an unrealistic view of the world. Mormonism is the enemy.

More than that, Mormonism is outright irrational. The idea that a man received golden plates from ancient American jews, that the only way to know if that is true is by feeling something in your chest akin to an emotion and that by getting this feeling means that you have to give all of your time and effort over to Thomas S. Monson is absolutely fucking batshit insane!!

To believe that there are only two paths to Mormonism, despite the fact that the human mind has never conformed to such black and white thinking, gives this incredibly stupid myth too much power. Mormonism may claim that it is either 100% or 0%, but I don't care what Mormonism says. Mormonism is wrong, it is a lie. It has no power over me, and it shouldn't have any power over anybody else.

In that sense, if a person wants to take a different path to Mormonism, and it is a healthier path, we should celebrate it, not try to push upon them the myth that God wants them to be a rank and file member instead.

What do you guys think? How full of shit am I? :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: snb ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 11:28PM

Just like GD's thoughtful comments, I liked RJ's comments as well.

"I don't think it's about lying. I think it's about grey areas don't make sense in Mormonism.

And I agree with that.

As many Jackmos and NOMs exist, I don't think it makes sense.

Mormonism is very "binary."

Any NOM or Jack I encounter I really don't agree with their position.

Closet doubter I get. But not shades of grey."

I totally agree with you on the idea that Jacks and NOMs make no sense. But then again, neither do Mormons. The only position that seems rational at all to me would be a non-religious one.

However, that doesn't mean these folks don't exist. My contention is that they exist and there are lots of them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.