Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 01:14AM

One of the most frustrating things for us ex-Mormons is the fact that Mormons are brainwashed into thinking they should avoid reading ANYTHING that might be critical of Mormonism (i.e. anti-Mormon literature), HOWEVER at the same time they will adamantly DENY that the church is a cult.

If I had a Mormon acquaintance refuse to look at something because it was critical of the church I would politely point out to them that if they refuse then THAT would convince me that the church REALLY IS a cult. If it was NOT a cult, then Mormons would NOT be afraid to read opposing materials and the church would actually ENCOURAGE its members to study all sides. They would have nothing to be afraid of and wouldn't have a need to try and CONTROL the flow of information that their followers have access to.

Has anyone ever brought this to a Mormon's attention before? To me it seems like a perfect example of how to point out to a Mormon how the Mormon church is a cult. Its a win win situation because it might actually make them want to prove you wrong by reading your material but if they refuse, they have proved your point.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 02:22AM

you have a good point on the win win situation. I don't understand what anti-mormon literature is. I thought it was just truthful literature. what so anti about the truth? knowledge is power

Posted by: cheri ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 09:33AM

Yup, I've brought this up with convert son. His replies have varied over the last 5 years as his 'understanding' has grown...

Pre-baptism: "Yes, it's a cult. There are good cults and bad ones. LDS is a good one."

Post-baptism: "Christianity was once thought of as a cult too"

And my fave...post-mission: "anti-Mormon stuff makes me feel bad, clearly the Spirit is telling me not to read it."

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 09:57AM

Let's just replace it a little:
Journal of Discourses
confusing FAIR articles
unedited sermons of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young,
quotes from past general authorities regarding race, polygamy, adam-God,monogamy, blood atonement, caste systems, catholics, those who lose faith, etc.
...makes me feel bad, clearly the Spirit is telling me not to read it.

But you must remember that mormons are taught from childhood to confuse the spirit of conformity and fear with the spirit of God.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 09:58AM

She responded something about it being a waste of her time to read [objective material] about the church because those people didn't KNOW the truth about the church because they didn't get their information FROM the church.

As long as members are restricted in what they are permitted to read, they will not recognize that they are in a cult, nor will they recognize that exmormons and non mormons know much more about every aspect of the church than they do.

Posted by: frankiepup ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 11:00AM

My cousin -- the one who just became a Mormon and drove me to this website -- told me that the missionaries specifically told her not to research the religion on the internet because the internet is full of lies. If someone who was selling something told me not to look up the product or the company on the internet, a HUGE red flag would pop up and start waving. Maybe they put something in her water, because she didn't seem to think this was odd.

And I didn't believe her until I came here and saw that missionaries do, in fact, say that to people. Dear God.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 11:07AM

that the reason they don't read critical material is not because they belong to a Cult, but because the critical material is from Satan trying to get his hook in them.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 11:20AM

Non-cults publish everything they believe on the internet and also print it and distribute their true beliefs far and wide.

Cults try to suppress information.

Do they think Scientology is a cult? Yes or No?

You'll find out that ONLY the LDS and Scientology sue for copyright infringement for publishing their handbooks on the internet.

Both of these keep essential doctrines secret and both have cosmologies that deal with extra-terrestrials. Yep, Kolobians (let us go down).

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.