Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 11:19AM

It hit me today that nonconformity is an insult to the group. It says:

I don't care what you people think.

I don't care what you believe.

I don't care what you want.

I think you're wrong.

I think you're boring.

I don't like you.

And so on.

So they see our rejection of Mormonism as a rejection of them. That's why the persecution complex is so strong in Mormonism. It's not really, "Boo-hoo, they don't like my religion." It's "Boo-hoo, they think I'm stupid for believing it."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 11:22AM

Nonconformity says you have no authority over me and cannot control or manipulate me. I am my own person.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 11:25AM

I ran into another layer of the emphasis on conformity recently. Mormon friends were discussing where to go on a family vacation. Seems there are approved destinations, and those that are frowned upon. If I didn't know better, I'd think the Elders Quorum had drawn up a list of approved vacations, and anything not on the list was a warning sign that Satan was lurking nearby.

Posted by: ken ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 11:32AM

I agree whole heartedly that non conformity, essentially a message about Mormon beliefs and life is considered by Mormons to be "you think I'm stupid too."

I think it runs a little deeper too.

Mormons are so enmeshed and entangled individually wiith their religion that they have no separate identity. They are the church and the church is who they are. I was like that for years. There was no independent me.

Rejection of Mormon beliefs, history and culture, meant someone was rejecting and even persecuting me.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 12:53PM

disruptive

dissonant

uncontrollable

You might show me the world is different from what I thought it was and maybe I can't cope with that world. There is only *one* reality--and it is *my* reality. Right? Right?

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 01:43PM

Perfect for me. I love the way you distilled that. It goes right in my file. I will take full credit of course.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 05:05PM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

It's not
> really, "Boo-hoo, they don't like my religion."
> It's "Boo-hoo, they think I'm stupid for believing
> it."

Exactly right.

Mormons are not people who happen to believe in Mormonism but Mormons who happen to be people. They are Mormons before they are people.

To them, leaving Mormonism isn't leaving a system of belief but is leaving a group of people. They take it personally because they do not separate their beliefs from themselves as human. Alas.

Posted by: freddo frog ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 06:29PM

" what do you know Fred, you're not even a member"
thanks for that

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.