Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tapir Rider ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 06:19PM

The book was removed from a required reading list for 6th graders.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/08/school-board-removes-sherlock-holmes-novel-as-derogatory-to-mormons/1

The Mormon Defense League just published a statement: http://mdl.org/402/a-study-in-scarlet-is-not-history
They point out that the book is fiction but people might make conclusions about Mormons that are not accurate.

The Mormon Defense League will never admit that the Book of Mormon is not factual history. Children and adults who believe the Book of Mormon have a very inaccurate understanding about American indigenous people.

LDS members are concerned that A Study in Scarlet could be harmful to Mormons. But the fabricated details in the Book of Mormon are much more harmful to the indigenous people of the Americas.

Unlike the school board decision with a reading list, there is no way to limit what the LDS teach their children in church and at home.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 06:49PM

Interesting that the church calls a propaganda program a "defense league." Censorship is the main goal of this program. If nothing bad is said or read about Mormonism, then nothing bad will be thought of it.

George Orwell described (in 1984) how you control thought by first controlling language. You remove words and phrases from publication that are negative to your interests. Once you do that, no one can even articulate an argument against you.

Beware of anyone who manipulates the printed word.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 06:59PM

The jackass who made the request for the book to be removed was an uber TBM. Good fucking grief!

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 07:07PM

I made a post on the Trib board where I said that I remember reading the story back in the sixth grade and nothing said about Mormons even made an impact on me. But now that a fuss has been made you can be people will be reading it and noticing what is said about Mormons.

Stupidity knows no limits.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 08:13PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.