Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: poster ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 07:51AM

Have a look at this article on Mormon times website where it says `Mormon church helps former NFL player sort out spiritual puzzle` .

It pictures a new black convert embracing a wife who is white.
As far as I know,Brigham Young taught that if any person marries and mixes his seed with a negro,they should be castrated or lose all priesthood blessings and not be able to marry in a Mormon temple.Does this black guy know anything about past mormon teachings on blacks?

http://www.mormontimes.com/news?s_cid=nav&utm_source=nav

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 08:14AM

It is a daughter of the guy who helped convert him. He was made to feel like part of their family and the girl was getting married.

Posted by: lindi ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 08:18AM

Boy, what a prize for that missionary family - a BLACK convert!! They'll have plenty of stories to brag about in church now.
When I was a missionary, baptizing a black person was akin to winning a championship. Hard to do, but it made you a rock star missionary with bragging rights if you did.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 08:39AM

I read the whole article. The African American man/former NFL player is not marrying (or "embracing") the Caucasian young woman in the picture. She is about to be married to someone ELSE. The black man is simply a friend of her father's.

It's a touching story, but I feel so very sorry for the man - the church has apparently adopted him as their PR poster boy for diversity. He seems like a genuinely kind and humble seeker of "truth" who got love-bombed to death and subsequently duped by the church.

I think his cancer and other multiple health problems made him vulnerable to conversion. I'm glad that the church is there as a strong support system for him right now . . . although I'll hate to see this gentle giant's heart break the first time he runs across Brigham Young's racist rants from the Journal of Discourses.

;o)

Posted by: Alex not logged in ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 08:45AM

What's more interesting about the article is this section :

"... Lester offered to arrange for someone from the local Mormon congregation to drop by and check on him. Ever independent, Miles politely declined. His new friend did it ANYWAY.

A local church member visited. Miles said he was just fine. When the gentleman left his contact information, Miles said thanks and dropped it in the trash after he left. The man continued to check on him ANYWAY.

Then two missionaries knocked on his door. "OK guys, you have five minutes," Miles told them.

"But five minutes turned into TWO hours," he said."

(Capitalization added)

So, three times this guy said NO, and three times he was ignored until he finally relented.

It is exactly these types of faith promoting stories that will keep giving church people the idea that no doesn't really mean no.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 11:59AM

are encouraged in the morg.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 09:11AM

It's hypocritical considering the morg taught for years that blacks were less worthy in the pre-existence, that they could never hold the priesthood, and that the righteous are "white and delightsome."

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 07:01PM

Yes. It is hypocritical because the Aaronic Priesthood manuals currently in use contain the quote by SWK that says you should marry only within your race.

If they aren't going to come out and say that BY and SWK were bigots and their statements can be ignored, then they are bigots themselves.

The bullshit flowing out of SLC is killing me...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.