Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heathen ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 01:00AM

The recent funeral post got me thinking: Is there any special thing you would like to have in your coffin with you when it is closed forever? Or funny stories about such?

When my stepfather passed away unexpectedly, we (the sons) insisted that his favorite putter be put to rest with him. My TBM mom didn't like the idea at first, but went with it. We put it in the coffin after the viewing right before the funeral service.

I'm sure many of the TBMs wouldn't have approved - but we are sure my step dad would have!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 01:18AM

I'll tell you what's not in my coffin: a green apron.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 01:20AM

I'm thinking about it, anyway.

Posted by: Gay Philosopher ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 01:23AM

LOL!

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 01:48AM

earlier this evening. I was joking that I should be buried with a wheel of cheese, a bag of potatoes and a dozen eggs. :)

But then I remembered I wanted to be cremated.

The suggestion was then made that I be wrapped in prosciutto for the cremation. :D

I think it's a lovely idea. What better way to go out than to waft some delicious bacony goodness over the neighborhood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2011 02:57AM by elee.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 02:04AM

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 02:56AM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 02:06AM

I plan on cremation too, but I've already written in my memorial service plans that I want a tiny pennant from my university (which I have treasured for nearly half a century now) to be worked into a small floral arrangement done in university colors.

Those precious university years were among the happiest of my life, and I want that to be remembered when I make my final exit.

Posted by: AquaLeo ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 03:50AM

I don't want to be placed in a box. Cremate me or just dig a hole and dump my dead carcass in there. No embalming shall be performed as well.

And at my service... people damn well better party it up and get drunk celebrating my life or my ghost will be pissed! I don't want anyone to mourn my passing.... just be happy that I lived a happy life. 8-)

Posted by: milamber ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 01:10AM

+infinity

My thoughts exactly.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 08:50AM

Actually, cremation is my choice, but there are also organizations that have land set aside for totally natural burial. No embalming, no casket. Just wrapped in cloth and put in a hole in the ground.

Then there's the burial regulation in Denmark and, I suppose, other countries with limited land for burial. Again, no embalming, and no vaults, and they can dig you up after 25 years and move your bones to a common pile. Then your headstone gets leaned up against the cemetery wall and they bury someone else in your former plot.

Posted by: AlmostFell ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 08:54AM

I have an elderly dog who's been with me through some really rough times. He's the reason I didn't end my own life during a bout of depression several years ago. When he dies, I'm going to have him cremated and then buried with me when I die.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 09:30AM

No coffin, I'll be cremated. and I'd like to be placed in a vintage kitchen cannister.
However, if there were a coffin, I'd want my pets' ashes placed in the coffin with me. My German Shepherd cross, Lucy, is in a nice walnut box, whereas Hoss the C@ is in a little tin. I don't know what Abby will be in, when the time comes, but it'll be nice. If I'm in a coffin, they can line up my pets (ashes in containers) next to me and people will know I've been loved!
But I think it would be much nicer to put all our ashes together and spread us out over the mountains or ocean, or perhaps a National Park.

Susan

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 09:53AM

Cremated nude. I want to depart this world as naked as the day I arrived. And then, stick me in the ground. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust....

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 10:14AM

My fishing pole,,,(No fish'n in the afterlife,I an't going),,6 pack of beer.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 10:36AM

On the funny story thing; My grandmother got so bad at driving before she died that my uncle (who was the sweetest man I ever met) had to take away her keys. She never forgave him, and even (we found out after she died) wrote poems about how she had a perfectly good car in the garage, but could not use it, because of evil uncle. After her funeral they discretely slipped her keys into her coffin, so she can bang up and door ding everyones chariots in the celestial kingdom.

I thought of the beer thing for my coffin too, but I'm afraid a few of my buddies may dig me up late one night after they run out!

Posted by: Not the Girl You Used to Know ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 10:56AM

thought about this this morning while I was in the shower...

I have 5 children. Some of them have punished me for divorcing their dad nearly 10 years ago. Some of them have loved me unconditionally. Some of them still passively aggressively find ways to punish me. For example....I can't get one of my daughters to visit my home even though I have made several pleas and invitations. She also never calls me or makes an effort to engage me in her life and the lives of my grandchildren. I do all the reaching out and extending of love and engagement.

Right now.... If I died today....I would rather she did not attend my funeral. If you can't visit me while I am alive, don't bother coming to the funeral.

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 04:44PM

Your post touched me. I am so sorry.

I recently changed my will and insurance policies.
I am not having any funeral, no memorial, will be cremated, and have legally arranged for remains and costs of care if I become unable to care for myself. Life is often....heartbreaking.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 05:07PM

When my 2-year-old son was killed (many years ago), the funeral was held at the funeral home. For part of the service, I had written a good-bye letter to him, and it was read at the service. After it was read, the letter was placed with him in his coffin. He was my first (and only) child at that time.

After a number of years, my second daughter died suddenly. She was 15 years old. This service was held in a mormon church [sic] building. Well, by then it appeared that I had a tradition going: I wrote a letter to my daughter, which I would read at the service. I also asked my other children to write their own letters that would be read, also. After reading them, I said that I would like to place them in the casket with her. The bishop said "No." This surprised me. I asked why, and he said that open caskets are not allowed in the chapel. I said "It's not an open casket ceremony, I'm just going to open the lid to place the letters there, and then I'll close it again." He refused. I asked "Why" again, and he said "It's just not done." After a couple of more rounds of this, I turned to somebody who was sitting next to me, and I said (referring to the bishop - who was sitting right there) "He's a coward. He won't let me put the letters in the casket with her, and he doesn't know why."

I made copies of the letters before the service, and placed them in her casket when it was still in the RS room for the viewing.

I hate mormon assholes, and I hate mormon funeral services...

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 07:07PM

The bishop story is jaw dropping. Mormonism illustrated to a 't' in a few sentences.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 08:12PM

And sorry as well that the bishop couldn't take the stick out of his butt long enough to approve a small measure of comfort for you.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 07:33PM

What *is* it with all you guys and cremation?! Yikes. I'm scared of fire!

I want the traditional pomp and circumstance of a Catholic funeral mass - complete with a children's choir. And I want a rosary in my coffin (if for no other reason than the off-chance that the Devil might just be real . . . and I'll have to fight him off in a battle for my soul). I'm just slightly kidding here. Maybe I should include some garlic??

When I was a very small child, I attended my grandfather's Catholic funeral. I remember bawling my eyes out and looking out over all the parochial school students singing angelically in the choir. But I could not, for the life of me, understand why NONE of those kids were crying over my beloved grandpa, too. Didn't those morons know he was dead?!

;o)

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 07:52PM

Trust me, you won't feel a thing.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 07:39PM

There was an old lady in my town who was so attached to her dog that when she died her family had her dog euthanized and buried her with her dog.

As for me I want to be cremated and scattered from a high mountain on my family's mountain property in New Mexico. Unless I pay for the cremation before I die I'll be buried in the "mormon cemetery" a mile from my home. I don't think that would be so bad either.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 08:16PM

I want to be cremated with my remains scattered over open water -- either the ocean or the bay. I have felt a deep connection to open water my entire life. I want my surviving family members to take the money they would have spent for my burial and use it instead to travel to someplace that they've always wanted to see. Life is for the living.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 08:18PM

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 09:47PM

Years ago in Ogden a few blocks from the crematory on 36th street, I was about to kiss an attractive and willing girl when a white flake came float down from the summer sky between us. I caught it in my hand and asked "What's that?" Willing girl says " Oh that is just ash from the crematory...I ran for the pourch.

Posted by: cpalmer312 ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 09:51PM

I want to be buried in temple square with my butt (bronzed for preservation) left sticking out of the ground so they can all kiss it as they go in to be fondled in the W&A.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 10:27PM

Posted by: m ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 01:05AM

I want to be buried face down in a park so someone will have a place to park their bike.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 04:16PM

Cremation. Ashes thrown down morg tolite so I can be with all my old LDS friends and xwives.

Posted by: moroniandcheese ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 08:29PM

http://www.lifegem.com/

...just kidding. I think the creepers part is the repeat customer's link...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 08:31PM by moroniandcheese.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 08:53PM

True. It's in my last will and testament. Just me and the pine box. Maybe a pillow. ;-D

Don't need anything else. Where I'm going has all amenities included. LOL

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.