Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 11:40AM

I have heard that explanation before, but it doesn't make sense. Why not just "sell" the land to JS and then he could give it back when they return. I don't see why marriage had to be performed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: omen ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 11:46AM

because the only way to truly protect one's land is to get busy with their wife.

Seriously, I'm disappointed I had to explain that to you... ;)

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 11:54AM

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 11:48AM

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 11:51AM

A man could leave to go 'back East' and come back to his house. Paying his taxes held it legally for him. In some cases he might have found squatters had moved in. Then he would need help to get them out.

But a legal wife could 'hold down the fort' when her man was away. She could also own the property if she had a male heir to inherit the property!

Women could not own property by themselves unless it was willed to them and or they had a male heir to hold it for.

The absent mens' property did not need 'protecting' except their personal property (their wives) from JS!

Posted by: LongTimegone ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 08:29PM

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 01:27PM

Considering that the church (Joe) was selling and giving people plots of land. And if they left the church they forfeited their property and left empty handed.

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 01:49PM

So all the rumors of it being hostage taking, adulterous behavior, abuse of power, are all from sinners - probably masturbators or apostates?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 02:29PM

Can't you just picture this conversation:

JS: Brother Gullible, what a hot wife you have. The Lord has just revealed to me that He wants you to go far away on a mission.

BG: OK, whatever you and God want.

JS: You'll need your property protected while you're gone.

BG: OK, whatever you and God say.

JS: Yes, I'll make sure your property is maintained and family is cared for. I'll regularly dip in to your wife to make sure she gets maintained too. Gee, I hope God doesn't tell me to have her sealed to me. Don't worry, we'll give you enough money to get to England.

BG: OK, whatever you and God want.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 02:37PM

practically word for word.

And we've had the concept of "Dupes for the Profit" ever since, in one guise or another. Great American Tragedy, now propagated worldwide.

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 05:15PM

But isn't that like licking a cupcake for a friend who is away so that no one else will want to eat it?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 10:34PM

He was willing to take the licked cupcakes. The poor dears would not have hope of getting a good man since they were used goods. How good of JS to stoop down to taking them in.

JS really sacrificed a lot. What a hero!

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 09:36PM

None of the "marriages" were legal in any sense, so none of the legal protections offered by marriage would have applied. AND, there's nothing he had to offer otherwise that would have performed that function, like, at all.

That's just stupid.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 10:21PM

Doggone that Joe Smith was an altruistic man. To guard a traveling man's wife to the point of intimacy? That's going above and beyond the call. Not only that, Joseph would take care of the man's teenage daughters as well. I'm surprised the sheep didn't bolt in fear.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.