Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wellsville ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 09:53PM

My byu friends think it is about a $1 a month per dish tv subscriber which is split with dish network so if nationwide their are 10million dish tv subscribers, byu collects $5 million a month for its sports, is this correct

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2011 09:54PM by wellsville.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 11:12PM

I don't know where we could find the values.

But... BYUTV is one of quite a few religious channels, and there are hundreds of channels available on either satellite provider. I doubt BYU gets any money from the providers. If they did, and with all those channels, basic packages would be hundreds of dollars.

With the new plans to have an independent BYU sports on its channel, they can generate revenue via ads.

Wikipedia has a bit of info about BYUTV and how it's working with ESPN and generating revenue.

If anybody knows anything more definite, I'm certainly interested.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 01:37AM

a former housemate of mine mentioned that EWTN (Catholic Television) was run at a loss for over 10 years.
A lot of the carriers carried it for free and it was usually on 'basic' cable, which gave it a wider audience than if you had to pony up extra.

If you dig around a little you can discover there are very few small channels/networks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.