Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 11:25AM

Just found out that a friend is having a reception the day BEFORE their wedding. Is this new? Just in Utah? Just a mormon thing? I have never heard of this before.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ribbit ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 01:18PM

I am mormon and have never heard of that before either. I had mine on the same evening as the wedding. Every other mormon reception I have been to was the same, the night of.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 01:25PM

Posted by: cpalmer312 ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 02:01PM

maybe they needed money to pay for the DJ? LOL

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 02:23PM

I saw it in California about 12 years ago. They were Mormon. Maybe the bride and groom just want to start their honeymoon right after the wedding and not have to wait a whole 6-10 hours before they can have sex?

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 02:42PM

Someone brought this up a week or so ago, receiving a prewedding reception invitation. I actually googled it. I wanted to see how common this is, maybe it's just a new trend, and I wanted to see what kind of etiquette there might be around this as well. I think nowadays people expect a gift registry card in the invitation, even though it's still considered in poor taste to do so. Trends shift. It doesn't seem right to celebrate a union that hasn't even taken place yet, and for me it comes across as gift-grabby...we don't really want you around afterwards to celebrate, we have better things to do, bring a gift the night/week before? In any case, I didn't really find anything on the interwebs, but when it was mentioned, so was LDS. Interesting. :)

Posted by: LochNessie ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 06:54PM

Strange. Haven't heard of this one. Perhaps it's the start of a new trend. Of course there are the rehersal dinners the night before which are common in nonmo weddings, but not receptions. I've always gone to them either the night of or the next day, though those are less common. My husband's tbm niece is getting married soon. She is having a family dinner the night of and a reception the next night.

I guess your friends just want to spend all their time after the sealing having sex and don't want to be bothered about getting dressed again and going out.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 07:47PM

I remember seeing a thread similar to this a little while back. Somebody mentioned that it's so the bride and groom can focus on the spiritual experience of being sealed in the temple and not worry about the aftershow. They explained it better than that but that was the gist of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 07:47PM by ginger.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 08:00PM

Not one had anything to do with Mormons or anything Mormon.

The most memorable had the reception held in Galice Oregon. The next day the couple was married at Grave Creek, the put in for those river rafting on the Rogue River. The couple got on the banks of the Rogue, then in tux and wedding dress, the couple jumped into their raft and headed down the river for their "Honeymoon". Well, it wasn't really a honeymoon since they were accompanied by about 15 close friends in rafts and kayaks. It was more a small 4 day traveling reception party. The reception beforehand was for the 50 people that would not be able to join the floating party. We needed to get on the river early so the wedding had to be early in the day and there was not enough time afterwards to have a party.

Oh, the couple met while rafting the Rogue. The people that accompanied them were the same people that were on the trip where the couple met. (long, epic story full of drama and danger that forged that group into such a close knit group of friends, let's just say that the first trip did not go well).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 08:03PM by MJ.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 08:07PM

My best friend in the cult had a father who was quite prominent in the ward- eventually he became bishop.

One day, after a reception before the cult wedding ( this was in the mid 80's), she related to me, "I think it'sbetter to hgave the reception before the actual wedding; If you have it the night of or the day after, then everyone will look at you and think, 'We know what you were doing last night!!!!'"
I believe we were about 7 or 8 during this convo, but it reminds me what a childish cult we were part of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 08:09PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: lazarus ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 08:12PM

I got married almost 10 years ago while at BYU. I remember people talking about that option. Someone said the benefit of doing the reception before the wedding was you could have sex right after the wedding and not have to wait for the reception to be over. No joke.

BYU, helping people get married at too young of an age since 1875.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.