Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cpalmer312 ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 02:00PM

If I traumatized people it must be because this stuff happens to others not just me! Ever think about that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 02:28PM

Ignore negativity. Susan has the final word and you were very up front about what the post was. Post away and if people don't want to read they don't have to. (I don't read every post I see and I sometimes don't finish. I just move on and don't say a word if I don't like it.)

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 02:39PM

I agree with Nickerson. When you're up front about content, like you were, then others can choose to read or not. IMO, it's very healing to let it all out. Keep posting.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 02:49PM

In the end, it makes us more empathetic, wise, and able to spot potential preventative actions.

Please don't worry about the sensitive ones who like to complain.

Here is a copy of the comments I made to Rebeckah in another thread she started about all of this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I read the threads I think were involved. IMO you simply gave some imput that might be helpful.

I think you were wrongly criticized.

I admit I'm a bit confused what tripped Outofutah's switch. Is Outofutah the same poster as nomo in that thread?

I think we all have limits for our sensitivity levels. It seems to me that the last few years the threshold for people being offended has changed. Nowadays, it's not uncommon for people to complain more about posts not protecting their tender sensitivities. They find things too crude, too rude, or too real and respond by complaining.

In the wild west days of this board, things were, well, more wild. Some of the posters here now would have had their sensitive heads explode.

I think this board has done a good job trying to mollycoddle the ones who get uncomfortable easily but it comes at a sacrifice. One of the beautiful things about this board for me has been the raw honesty and expression of what people really think.

I know a lot of people live in a Pollyanna mental state where everyone plays nicely and a nice man in the sky makes everything right in the end. Well, in real life you get people who share what it was like being raped. We can learn from it instead of worrying about someone being offended.

If people need to go through life with their heads in protective sand, I really wonder why they come to sites like this in the first place. Maybe they like to look for opportunities to be offended. Maybe they will go through life expecting everyone to protect their feelings.

I have learned a lot here, especially from people who pushed my comfort levels. I don't encourage coddling here but I am only one poster. There are other boards where people are non confrontational. I'm here because I don't want things sugar coated.

So, Rebeckah, I say thank you for your contributions.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And to cpalmer312, a double thanks. Thank you for letting us know what happened to you and what it was like. Thank you for helping us learn what we can do to understand.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 06:48PM

Most people who have dealt with patients in a psychiatric setting have heard it ALL.

It is truly rare to find ANY patient who has not been abused or molested in some way.

However, some stories give you a hinky and simply do not ring true. The patient crosses over into fantasy.

At that point you have to say that unless events are documented and verifiable, they most likely did not happen. Epecially if the patient displays other clinical signs.

Certain events may be real to the patient but they are nevertheless a figment of imagination. Fantasy is not reality.

Date: August 21, 2011 09:28PM

I would like to thank the pseudo psychiatrists in here for declaring me a mental case and a liar. I see no cause for judgmental accusations. I also have no problem with any of your accusations since I know what I told you was true. It is clear to me the people here that are still in need of psychiatric help and those that have used the forum as a RECOVERY FORUM.

LEAH I will pray that you continue on your road to self discovery and recovery. As for my situation you have nothing to base your diagnosis on but the experiences you have experienced. so if your little experience with me (which is none) tells you I am a mental case and delusional the so be it. You are after all entitled to your shallow opinion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 09:37PM by cpalmer312.

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 09:31PM

Most people who REALLY work with mental health patients are well aware of the fact that it is unethical to make judgements or assumptions based on feelings. It is also unethical to diagnose or make suggestions about a "case" that the "medical proffesional" is not assigned and has ZERO actual knowledge about....

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 09:10PM

Are NOT responsible for THEIR feelings...they are. You clearly labled your post. The individual felt it was a trigger. He/She should not have read it, or discontinued reading it, if it was too emotional.

Sugar coating reality (any reality) is childish. This is a RECOVERY site. That includes ALL SORTS of stories and experiences. Some people just prefer the world to be candy-coated to make it through...

Narcasistic individuals often claim BS or that it isn't possible, or you are lying/making it up simply because THEY have never experienced it.

Even if others do not beleive your story...it IS real to you. They (especially the older posters), know NOT to claim troll, and they know the correct procedure is to REPORT any suspicions...not try to personally out someone.

Like Dagny said, this board used to not be so Politically Correct and people didn't feel the need to censor the thoughts or positions of others, simply because they didn't agree or like what they are writing...I"m not really sure when that became acceptable behavior here. I'm just now coming back to the board after an almost year hiatus...

Like anything on the internet, these are living breathing people...there is an ebb and flow to the posters and content. You definatly need thick skin...

Date: August 21, 2011 09:39PM

Thank you SilkRose! I appreciate your input

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.