Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 02:42PM

if her husband doesn't call her out of the grave?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cpalmer312 ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 02:44PM

then she has made a GRAVE error in her judgment. She must have been a bad wife

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 10:25AM

Yes.. no doubt she'll be *buried* in regret.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 02:48PM

Yet another item in my long list of "I would never have joined the church if I had known ANY ONE of these facts first."

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 09:01PM

Posted by: cpalmer312 ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 03:02PM

worst part is The man doesn't condemn himself to no celestial kingdom. He only condemns her. I'm a male and think this is awful. way to go joe way to secure your eternal harem

Posted by: snowowl ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 03:42PM

Here is a more serious answer.

If the husband does not call his wife's name at the resurrection, she will still be resurrected but not as the wife of her former husband. It is kind of an instant divorce. A wife has no assurrance in this mortal life that her husband will call her in the resurrection. If he decides at the last second that he doesn't want to be with her, well, too bad for her. She cannot go to the Celestial Kingdom and be exalted. She will reside in the Telestial or Terrestrial Kingdom. Or, perhaps, she will go to a lower level of the Celestial Kingdom as a servant.

That is the same situation that will occur with persons who do not marry on earth and refuse marriage in the next life. They will become ministering angels which is another term for servant and they will serve the more worthy Mormons in the Celestial Kingdom. Why any wife would wish to be part of that type of religious belief is beyond my understanding.

"Do the women, when they pray, remember their husbands?... Do you uphold your husband before God as your lord? "What!—my husband to be my lord?" I ask, Can you get into the celestial kingdom without him? Have any of you been there? You will remember that you never got into the celestial kingdom [during the temple ceremony] without the aid of your husband. If you did, it was because your husband was away, and some one had to act proxy for him. No woman will get into the celestial kingdom, except her husband receives her, if she is worthy to have a husband; and if not, somebody will receive her as a servant." Apostle Erastus Snow, Sunday, October 4, 1857, Journal of Discourses, vol. 5, p. 291

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 09:33PM

Date: August 22, 2011 10:31AM

Hey.. he did like to blow a long, hard, smooth.. horn. ;-)

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 08:23PM

If her ol' man calls her and she don't wanna go?

"Naahh, I don't wanna be preggers and one of a freakin' harem for eternity, I'll stay here and shoot pool with my friends! C-ya!"

Posted by: snowowl ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 09:22PM

I don't think it was ever anticipated that the woman would say no while in heaven. However, it might be a problem in this life. Brigham Young had one view and Heber C. Kimball had another.

"Brigham Young also said, 'As no man can be perfect without the woman, so no woman can be perfect without the man to lead her, I tell you the truth as it is in the bosom of eternity; and I say so to every man upon the face of the earth: if he wishes to be saved he cannot be saved without a woman by his side.'" Times and Seasons, vol. 6, p. 955, April 6, 1845.

"However, President Heber C. Kimball seems to contradict President Young by saying, 'Supposing that I have a wife or a dozen of them, and she should say ""you cannot be exalted with me,"" and suppose they all should say so, what of that? They never will affect my salvation one particle. Whose salvation will they affect? Their own." Journal of Discourses, vol. 4, p. 209

Kimball the says:

"In the spirit world there is an increase of males and females, there are millions of them, and if I am faithful all the time, and continue right along with brother Brigham [Young], we will go to brother Joseph [Smith] and say, 'Here we are brother Joseph; we are here ourselves are we not, with none of the property we possessed in our probationary state, not even the rings on our fingers?' He will say to us, 'Come along, my boys, we will give you a good suit of clothes. Where are your wives?' 'They are back yonder; they would not follow us.' 'Never mind' says Joseph, 'here are thousands, have all you want.'"
Journal of Discourses, vol. 4, p. 209 209

Heber C. Kimball evidently believed that he could choose as many spirit females (who had been birthed by previous exalted Mormons) as he wished, or else he believed that there would be innumerable females running around who were not married in their mortal life and were just waiting for him to show up.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 11:03PM

I think you called that perfectly, snowowl...it certainly has a vibe of, "There's always more where you came from".

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 12:55AM

"What? You have not been faithful with a few so I will take them from you and give them to the more worthy."

So funny how these men think they're the air women breathe.

Posted by: Provo Girl ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 01:23AM

My TMB husband said one day he didn't have to resurect me if he didn't want to (he was supposedly joking he said). I told him if there is a resurrection day, then it will be The Lord himself who will have the authority and love to awaken me--it won't be left to the whim of a human priesthood holder. That deflated his preisthood for a while . . .

Date: August 22, 2011 10:37AM

I never knew about this "calling from the grave" concept. I mean, I think I'd heard the term, but it never really occurred to me that either could - or rather *would* - decline to be together.

Kind of makes me crack up, being bisexual, imagining on resurrection day.. "Sorry hon, but I think Brother JoeShmoe is better suited for my eternal proclivities. I'm sure Brigham Young would still take you in, so you'll be fine. See ya.."

Now that I know this, I'll most certainly be teasing my wife (also ex-mo) about it now, like I occasionally do about her needing to submit to my desires because I'm the man and I'm the king of the castle and holder of the Raptoric Priesthood. Usually she responds with an eye roll, flipping me the bird, or telling me to go play with my little factory (in not so many words).

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 10:59AM

How many other "Lucys" are there out there besides me? When Lucy is called--how many men will have been calling and how many will answer?

I know many mormon marriages where I'd assume they are hoping they get a choice!?!?!

Just my idea of heaven--sharing my husband . . . been there, done that. I'd rather stick with my gay husband and share him with other men than share him with other women.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 01:54PM

What if your dearly departed husband was an abusive asshole? Do you get the choice to refuse? I always wondered about that.

"Who me? Oh, nevermind, I changed my mind. I think I'd rather spend eternity in Outer Darkness than to spend one more minute with you."

I kinda want to find me some nice mormon guy and marry him in the temple just so I can do that after I die. LOL

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 02:51PM

Absolutely. Until the second sealing it is all conditional anyway. Ain't no such thing as forever until then. Even priesthood ordinations are conditional upon the Holy Spirit of Promise.

Posted by: SD ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 02:16PM

"I knew the twit wouldn't be able to find me and I'm not out there to help him ask for directions."

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 02:50PM

Not to worry. Some horny, perfected god/man will want her and she can bwe reassigned.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.