Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 03:56PM

Jerry the Apoustate, exercising his nonpriesthood authority, organized this last of Jerry & Cheryl's California Exmo Funfests for the year. Hi CHeryl! We missed you!

Here's an interesting note- Many if not most of the twenty or so people there who were formerly Mormon took anti-depressants while they were in the church and no longer needed them after they quit. Drum roll, cymbal clang.

A nevermo next to me leaned over and said, "What's a nephite (as in, must have been the third nephite? I am not understanding a lot of this" I realized that a goodly part of the fun in these events is the shared "jargon"--an instant comaraderie (like 'goodly' there).

I think we should start our own home teaching program for people considering leaving, or who have apostatized, just to make sure everything is ok. Two by two we will visit you in your home, look around making sure there are no pictures of prophets. We start by telling you how much you are loved and asking if you are still considering getting additional ear piercings and if you have set a date for that to happen. We offer you coffee that we bring with us and some ahem brownies which we do not offer unless you seem "ready."

You offer lemonade and we suggest Mikes Hard, if you have it, or maybe just a beer. We exchange glances when you don't have any on hand. We don't want to make you uncomfortable, but feel obligated, based on this, to ask if you have been avoiding church.

You hang your head and we tell you we understand how hard it can be to run your own life, and that we are all rooting for you. Just because you went to church a time or two doesn't mean your critical thinking centers aren't still working and we know, in time, you will be fine.

Outside, we see coke cans in the trash. We smile and punch each other on the arm. See you next month!

Anagrammy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 06:48PM by anagrammy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 04:04PM

Date: August 21, 2011 04:31PM

Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 04:39PM

At my end of the table there was talk of which part of his body it would be on. We did not reach consensus.

Perhaps all will be revealed here some day.

Pay Lay Alol

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 04:53PM

But it looks great.

It's on my upper left arm.

Ax and ye shall receive.

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 07:31PM

Just checking in. I enjoyed the company once again this year. Some new faces this year!

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 07:39PM

Damn, I should have attended. Hm, well, maybe next time. I'm glad it was a success!

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 08:08PM

I'm sorry I missed it too. My son was visiting, and we had a barbeque. But I still don't know if I would have come, due to the fact I don't get out much. Mental health problems are a real drag. Stay sane, everyone.

Don

Date: August 21, 2011 09:38PM

hoping.

Ana

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 09:59PM

You are an angel, anagrammy. I was never accepted in any organization (including the corporations that I worked for) due to my social reticence and debilitating shyness. I love exmo people, partially because they have abandoned social pressure and the idea that everyone should be exactly alike. Lots of other reasons too.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 09:44PM

Wished I lived in Sacramento! :(

Date: August 21, 2011 11:25PM

and the amount of laughs per margarita cannot be matched.

Hoping to meet more of you at the Exmormon Conference in October!

Anagrammy

//my pleasure IntellectualFeminist! I wish I had as much calm poise when I was raising children as a single mother back in the day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 11:27PM by anagrammy.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 11:21PM

The Sacramento meet-up was awesome!! I got to sit next to Anagrammy :D
And I saw some old friends of mine from years ago; they're not on RfM but they post on another ex-mo board and it was wonderful getting caught up on things. Great to see one of the missionaries who was there when I first got baptized. He's out of the cult and out of the closet; life is so much better for all of us!
I really enjoyed meeting Jerry, Anagrammy, Taddlywog, and others......if only we'd had the presence of Our Lord(Raptor), Don, and others who couldn't make it. Hopefully next time!

Posted by: Dave in Long Beach ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 02:46PM

I grew up in Fair Oaks and went to the chapel on Deseret Avenue. I'm glad to be gone, BUT these get togethers make me a little wistful.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 03:07PM

Are you the previous Dave in Hollywood? Moved?

If yes... it's me again, the old Mormon Center guy. Glad to see you're still around!

I missed all three of Jerry's summer get-togethers this year. So close, yet so far.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 03:38PM

Wish I was back in Sacramento. Grew up in the Whitney Ward when there was an American River Stake. Left in 76. I do miss it. Have lived in Alabama for the last 20 years. Maybe I'll move back when I retire in another seven or eight.

Sounds like you had a great time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.