Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hello ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 12:35AM

From my reading here (and in the D&C), I learn that the "sealing power" was "restored" to Joe Smith (by "Elijah") in 1836. From this I take that no sealings could have been performed prior to that time.

There is some evidence also that Joe "received some sort of revelation" about church elders taking concubines from among the females of the Lamanites, possibly as early as 1831. But these concubinage relations, if they were ever entered into, were not to be considered marriages, and would not have required priesthood sealings. In 1831, Joe didn't seem to have thought up the idea of a "priesthood sealing power" yet.

And there is no known record of Joe "sealing to" Fanny Alger or Miranda Johnson, or to any other lady, in a plural marriage relationship prior to at least 1836, though apologists would love to claim he did.

So I wonder, did Joe seal monogamous couples for time and eternity in the Kirtland Temple? Either before, or after, the 1836 "restoration" of the sealing keys?

If he did so, then the idea of sealing for eternity was not new to him or his followers as of 1836. Which would then mean that the revelation known as D&C 132 concerning the "new and everlasting covenant of marriage", which introduced the concept of plural marriage for eternity, would have truly been new information to the members.

It would mean that D&C 132 really was specifically about plural marriage, and not just about monogamous sealing, which would have already been known since 1836.

Today's apologists try to say that D&C 132 is not about plural marriage at all. They read this section as a reference to any marriage for eternity performed by the priesthood. But the context of the section shows that it is giving new info, and introduces the new concept of plural marriage.

Does anyone know of any recorded history about Kirtland temple sealings? Or, for that matter, about any sealings performed anywhere outside the temple as well? Did Quinn, or other historian, discuss this topic in their histories?

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.