Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 11:51AM

SPONSORING THE NEWS TODAY ON KSL...

Deseret Trust Company --LDS CHURCH

**HELPING YOU GIVE WITH LOVE AND TRUST**

***Deseret Trust Company works in partnership with LDS Philanthropies to help donors accelerate the work of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its institutions ***, including Brigham Young University (Provo, Hawaii, Idaho), Humanitarian Services, the Perpetual Education Fund, LDS Business College, the Church History Fund, the General Missionary and Temple Construction Funds, and other important initiatives approved by Church leaders for philanthropic support of members and friends.

There you go --give until it hurts !!!

JB

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 12:02PM

*LOL*

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 12:05PM

Keeping all that $ straight must take an army of accountants and tax attorneys.

..."other important initiatives approved by Church leaders for philanthropic support of members and friends."

Taking The Boyz and family/friends golfing in Hawaii? Oh, yeah, your tithing $$$ at work. And whose friends?

It's like those televangelists who own a fleet of private jets and multimillion dollar houses, all bought by "donations to the Lord."

Imagine what the world could be if we just dropped the middlemen.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 12:11PM

In other words: "Don't leave anything to your family when you die--give it to us!"

"Your family? Oh, don't worry, just think of the blessings that will pour down from heaven on them because YOU were so generous..."

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 12:24PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 12:39PM

the leaders of a big corp that refuses to divulge any of their own financial information! perfect!

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 12:47PM

No way in hell that I'm going to give TSCC a damn dime when I die.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 01:16PM

BUT WHILE YOU ARE ALIVE ---- You can have the Church manage your philanthropic donations while you are alive --O.M.G. is that a scary thought.

JB

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 06:09PM

I know people who's parents have put all their money into this in their will. Kind of pisses off the kids.

Oh, and why TSCC says that no tithing money is involved in the City Creek Mall, remember that the money in Deseret Trust is NOT considered tithing money. So, they can use it for whatever they want.

I also wouldn't put it past the bastards to use this as indulgences -- if you sign your estate over to Deseret Trust, you can have a lifetime membership at the hunting ranch, or maybe a mission president job in the country of your choice.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: August 22, 2011 07:29PM

At that time, families (local ward families) were constantly being hounded to pay money for ward building costs and maintenance, families were hounded into volunteering to do work at Church-owned businesses (canneries and stake farms), families had to bear the full cost of their sons and daughters serving on missions, families were encouraged to pay for church publications, including church magazine subscriptions, families were supposed to make fast offerings every month....

For most social events involving food, members were expected to prepare and bring dishes from home...

For scouting activities, the scouts had to work on various projects and sell things to earn money to pay for summer camp (usually a 1-week excursion somewhere with barebones provisions).

It seemed that very little of that tithing money actually ever came back to the local wards in anything near an amount equivalent to what the local wards paid to SLC.

I think that there is a VERY GOOD REASON for the Brethren to avoid making their accounting books open to the public.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 09:30PM

I heard an ad on KSL radio this morning...Deseret Trust was sponsoring the news! Part of the ad said people could go to deseret trust.com for more info.

Ok...Obviously it is a "for profit" arm of TSCC because it has the .com addy, not .org or something used for organizations...I get that.

But, really...sponsoring a radio program????Isn't that pretty pricey? Is that how this company uses donations from church members?

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 10:14PM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I heard an ad on KSL radio this morning...Deseret
> Trust was sponsoring the news! Part of the ad
> said people could go to deseret trust.com for more
> info.
>
> Ok...Obviously it is a "for profit" arm of TSCC
> because it has the .com addy, not .org or
> something used for organizations...I get that.
>
> But, really...sponsoring a radio program????Isn't
> that pretty pricey? Is that how this company uses
> donations from church members?

Well, since the church owns KSL and Deseret Trust, that's just funny money, so it doesn't seem pricey to me. Incestuous, yes, but...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.