Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Changed Man ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 01:45PM

DW has two callings. She plays the piano in RS, and just started teaching SS for the 12-13 year olds. The last two Sundays were apparently entertaining. Two weeks ago, the RS class devolved into a messy debate about polygamy and homosexuality. DW made a somewhat liberal-minded comment, which apparently didn't sit well with the older ladies. Then last week, the lesson was on chastity, and DW decided to keep her mouth shut. However, the class again devolved into a debate about whether sex was for procreation only, or just for the fun of it. There seems to be a generational fault line.

In DW's SS class, she decided to showcase the funny scriptures to the kids to keep their attention, and also because she hates teaching from the lesson manual. I was happy to provide several good scriptures, and she thought it would be funny to show the kids the Songs of Solomon (the mild parts). When she taught the class, it went over well. She did tell the kids that she might not be their teacher for long if people found out how she was teaching. She also told me that if she didn't have to play the piano in RS, she wouldn't go. She never gets anything positive out of it, and the older ladies drive her crazy with their "tradition as doctrine" viewpoints.

EQ was usually very boring. These ladies seem to be very opinionated and vocal about their disapproval. Are most RS classes like this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 01:58PM

She is a VOLUNTEER for pity's sake. If she isn't getting anything out of it, she should quit.

Or be subversive and persuade her to skip a few Sundays and have something really fun planned. Hopefully, she'll realize spending a Sunday having fun with you is so much better than SS or RS or sacrament.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 02:30PM

She should speak her mind.

It's not her fault that TBMs are too stupid to understand DNA results and its implications.

The morg derives its "authority" from a fake book.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 02:35PM

Depending on class discussion, RS can be very fun! I once participated in a plastic surgery debate in RS. I was a closet unbeliever and defended a few TBM's for their stance on plastic surgery. Depending on the type of surgery and purpose, I feel it is similar to getting braces. You're just putting things in the right spot where they belong. The lesson was about "our body is a temple", and tattoos and piercings were mentioned. It was a lively debate, but friendly.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 02:41PM

attitude towards my own gender. I taught R.S. for 4 years. I was the "lucky" one who got teach about teaching our kids about sex, molestation, blah, blah, blah. I just loved teaching those lessons. I'm very "shy" and don't like to talk about such things--but I did it anyway.

The POS R.S. president berated me in front of the class because I said something about teaching sex education in schools since we certainly weren't doing our jobs. (She's the one I mention in another thread--who I run into regularly.) Thankfully, one of my neighbors--who was a middle school teacher--raised her hand and said, "Colleen is right--we don't teach our kids about sex and I see the results at the middle school level. I agree, we should teach it in the schools."

I could go on and on and on about those 4 years of teaching, let alone all the other bullshit. One counselor in teh R.S. who was conducting one week on mother's day--when I was givng another of these special lessons talked for 40 minutes. I had 5 minutes to do the lesson. I wish they had told me so beforehand--I would have gone to Idaho with my husband and kids rather than stay home with chronic strep on codeine cough syrup to teach a lesson on molestation that I took hours to prepare for. It was so obvious, many women stopped by my house that week to apologize for what happened.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 04:42PM

Loves me some RS drama! I was called to teach in RS and was released after my FIRST lesson! LOL! They couldn't handle me :)

I wish members would realize they were volunteers and not slaves. Pity. So glad to be free of that nonsense.

Sometimes I'm tempted to go one Sunday and drop some truth bombs and step back and watch the chaos unfold (you know they secretly want that anyway, anything to relieve the insufferable BOREDOM).

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 09:55PM

One of my last Sundays attending RS the young pianist got up and talked about what Jesus meant to her. Everyone was uncomfortably silent. I don't think they ever heard someone talk about how much Jesus meant to them. It sounded so out of place there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 09:56PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 11:00PM

Sister “Patton” was all about rules, punishments, and judgment. Had she been a male, she would have been a military general! As it was, she had to make do with being an RS teacher.

Sis Patton taught an RS lesson on judgment. It was literally a terribly depressing lesson, as she taught it. To counteract this downer, Sister “Reasonable” brought up the “judge not, lest ye be judged” scripture. This did not go over well with Sis. Patton. At the next lesson, Sis. Patton reiterated her points. Sis. Reasonable again brought up scriptures of the “judge not, lest ye be judged” type.

Not to be outdone, Sis. Patton arrived the following lesson armed with colored handouts full of scripture quotes supporting her punitive views! She called on various sisters to read the quotes aloud, lest anyone fail to appreciate her careful research.

Sis. Reasonable said no more. She felt she had expressed herself sufficiently on the topic and nothing was to be gained by repeating her views.

Since Sis. Patton had had the last word, she was satisfied. What she failed to realize was that all she had succeeded in doing was making herself look childish and foolish to the other RS sisters!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.