Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Willie Martin ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 11:42PM

As a young boy I was raised with the "every member a missionary' mentality. When the time came to go I had major doubts about the church but eventually sucked it up, went out and served my 2 years in Japan. I worked my butt off and only remember baptizing a coupled of people in spite of thousands of hours of hard work, prayer, following the mission rules, etc. It was a pretty poor return for thousands of hours of work, lots of money spent by myself and TBM parents, etc.

Now that I have walked away from the church, I am a far better missionary. I have been instrumental in helping 2 coworkers resign from the church, I've dissuaded people from listening to the missionaries, and recently I even helped to convince a girl to stay Muslim rather than fall in with the LDS church (I know there may not be much difference between being Muslim and Mormon, but I somehow got satisfaction in helping to prevent another convert for the Morg to count).

Anybody else out there find it is much easier being a missionary against the church than for the church? I think this is my new calling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 11:58PM

I try to avoid talking about religion now aside from this board. Its a human construct capable of wonderful and terrible things...very similar to harnessing nuclear power...

When the subject comes up, I try to just let the person talk about how it's important to them.

In a way, I'm glad I converted into the cult and got spiritually screwed. I've learned a hell of a lot because of it.

Trick me once, shame on you...
Trick me twice, shame on me...

Posted by: mtnmdwcookiemonster ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 12:28AM

I like how that offends the dim religious.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 01:50AM

Yes. In fact I did a little anti-missionary work this evening.

I frequent a little eatery and I converse with the help and the owner. Tonight it was just me and the two owners. No-mos are easy to talk to especially when it comes to moism or so it seems to me. Anywho in the course of our discussion I said something about how unsexy mormon underwear are. They (both women) had known mormons but had never heard about garments. They both had no clue what I was alluding to.

I gave them a brief and factual history of how you get them and how they've changed over time and how they are worn and what the church tells you it provides. Basically all the ins and outs in a non-disparaging way. The younger woman (bout thirty) was blown away. Her remarks were "you have got to be shatting me!" or "you are shatting me aren't you?" and "no f..ing way!".

I said no it's quite true. Just go Google mormon garments and you will see a picture of exactly what my ex and I used to look like with nothing but garments on.

She went straight to the store terminal and looked them up.

Her exuberant scream was music to my ears. My work was done.
She immediately showed her new found knowledge to her web designer as he walked in the door. He giggled and said "damn!".
I said goodnight, she said " I can't wait to tell my husband".

And anti-missionary works rolls on like a stone that was cut without hands but with information, logic and common sense.

It's a beautiful thing.

p.s. I wasn't embarrassed about my anti-missionary work at all. Go figure.

Posted by: Willie Martin ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 05:22AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.