Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 07:52AM

DD and I are playing monopoly last night (she is 10). She looks at my shoulder tattoo and says her mom's church says tattoos are bad.

But she has a look of confusion or worry on her face. I realize it's the cog dis look. So I ask why do they think tattoos are bad? She didn't really know. So I ask what do you think? She isn't sure.

Well, I say, my tattoo is religious and means something to me. It's a scroll with the 7 blessings of the holy spirit in latin and references Isaiah 11:2.

So I told my daughter I'm pretty sure God isn't concerned about what's on the outside, He looks at people's hearts. She said yeah, and you're a good person. That was the end of that.

But I am going to continue pointing out this fallacy to her and why it's wrong to judge people by their look. Isn't that what TSCC is teaching? Sick f#$ks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 08:00AM

When I got my tattoo, a friend told me that I wasn't allowed to tell her children about it, because they loved me and she didn't want them to feel that it's okay to get one, just because I did. Her children have called me 'Auntie' since birth, and I even lived with her and her family for a time.

But one day, I walked to the store with her youngest son. I think he was about 6 at the time. Another lady out walking began talking to us and after she walked away, he said, "That's a bad lady."

I asked, "Why do you say that?" He replied, "Because she has a tattoo."

Well, right or wrong, I just couldn't help myself, and I said, "I have a tattoo. Does that make me a bad lady?"

He said, "Yes!" I said, "Come on. You've known me since you were born. You know that I love you dearly and we've always got along great. Five minutes ago I was just fine, and now suddenly I'm a bad lady? I don't think so."

He looked confused, but I just couldn't resist a teaching moment. I couldn't stand that they were teaching him that kind of prejudice.

When I got home, I told my friend what had happened. She probably wasn't happy about it, but I guess she saw my point, because she didn't cuss me out about it.

But yeah, I can't stand the "we're better than the rest of the world" sort of thinking, especially when it's passed on to the young.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 04:48PM

I might have called the Primary teacher and told her that I don't appreciate her telling my kid that my tattoos are bad.

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 05:40PM

And actually question what she is told.

Blind following is NEVER a good idea.

It makes me laugh...because these same people "mormons", hate it when others "judge" them...yet they have NO problem making false assumptions about others.
I guess my military service tattoos, and my daughter's footprints make me evil...lol

Date: August 24, 2011 05:46PM

I have a tat of my nephew who died as a toddler.It is his face on the body of a tiny angel-similar to the pose of Raphael's angel. I guess I am an evil, fallen woman for wanting to remember a child..

Date: August 24, 2011 05:52PM

Freaking closed minded fools who cannot/will not think for themselves...

Why not? Its EASIER to allow someone to do the thinking for you....

Date: August 24, 2011 05:54PM

Nobody has ever given me grief about it, but if they did, I would probably go ballistic.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 05:48PM

I was at one of my TBM's friends houses and his 5 y/o son asked what my tattoos were. I told him that they were permanent art on my skin. He said "they look neat" and then my friend's wife interjected "but God isn't happy with people who get tattoos...God says they are very bad.". I wanted to tell her where she could shove her self-righteous attitude, but I merely said something stupid like "I disagree".

Date: August 24, 2011 05:54PM

I grew up Fundie Baptist...and they had the same statements...

Funny how they pick and choose how to interpret things...

But forget verses about Not Judgine others...and their own Articles of Faith...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.