Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 01:31PM

Is there a difference between believing in a god as a real entity and believing in a god as a fantastical being?

For example: I'm an atheist, and yet I believe Raptor Jesus went extinct for my sins over 65,000,000 years ago. Can I really say, then, that I'm an atheist?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 02:24PM

You mean there is only a small gap between a theist and atheist?

Posted by: Bishop Rick ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 03:56PM

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 02:30PM

Atheism equals no belief in the supernatural. If you believe in ghosts or fairies or Raptor Jesus then you're not technically an atheist. That doesn't necessarily make you a theist though. You can say, "There is no god, but I can tell the future with tarot cards" and that's not any less valid than any other crackpot theology. I've decided to label myself a devout agnostic. I'm not just waffling on choosing a religion here, people. I have found my spiritual niche in agnosticism. I can wake up one day and go for a walk and decide that I feel the presence of god and he's totally real, and then get home and shrug it off and figure god is an invention of man, and at no point do I feel conflicted. I believe in whatever I believe at any given time, and I have no issue changing those beliefs. The only belief I won't bend on is that if there is an all-knowing god waiting to judge me after death, he doesn't give a shit what religion I am or even if I believe in him.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 02:40PM

Or perhaps you're an inactive paleontologist. Or just a Jack or cultural Paleontologist.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 02:55PM

...in the sense that everyone has a superego aspect to their psyche which acts as a conscience, gives rise to feelings of guilt or other existential emotions, etc. It is this aspect, not one's Ground of Being, that people commonly project into the heavens as the "God" they should harmonize their egos with. Removing that projection doesn't remove this aspect of one's subconscious.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 05:52PM

...I'm quitting life right now.

Just sayin'

Posted by: Nate ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 05:56PM

Since god doesn't give a shit about me I'm going to treat god the same way.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.